What's new

I have Unlimited Data But Need to use Family Member's Upgrade--How do I do This?

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
AT&T site won't let me preorder because it says won't ship to my billing address, which is a PO Box.

So, on apple site I can choose my Mother's line, which qualifies, but then I'm only offered data plans that line is eligible for. The site doesn't let me "use" her line for my upgrade at contract price but also keep my unlimited data. Can this be done only in the store? Thanks.

verizon told me no, i had unlimited data and theyre making me drop it. they said in order to keep the unlinited you have to pay full price on the iphone

nick779 said:
verizon told me no, i had unlimited data and theyre making me drop it. they said in order to keep the unlinited you have to pay full price on the iphone

What about upgrading to 4S. Same thing in regards to the unlimited data?

Id assume so since you wouldnt be paying full retail.

Call and double check, because unlimited data for $30 (at least thats what i had) is worth trying to keep lol

I guess I wasn't clear. ATT will let me keep my unlimited data. However I don't know how to do that on the preorder. It makes me choose a line. If I choose my line which doesn't yet qualify for an upgrade the phone is too expensive. If I choose my mother in laws line it requires me to choose one of the new data plans. I have since called AT&T and they explained I could preorder against my mother in-laws line. Then I can bring it into the store and they will transfer the phone to my line and keep my unlimited data. I just could not tell how to make this happen on the preorder. They have since told me that so I might consider it.

Call and let them do it for you. This way you will know its done correctly.

Verizon employees that I have talked to and also posting on their forums have said that you can keep unlimited if you upgrade another line on the same or different account as long as you do not mess with the line with unlimited data. You can not transfer the upgrade to the right account you can not transfer the upgrade away from the unlimited account. We have 4 Lines on my account and the rep that I spoke with told me Line A with unlimited data needed no changes Lines BCD all have upgrades available. They told me to upgrade Line B activate the phone when I get it on line B then deactivate and put the old phone back on Line B and come into the store and get a new nano sim card for line A and my unlimited data would not be affected because it was technically not a subsidized upgrade for Line A.

So how does that work with a family share plan? I have a line that is eligible for an upgrade on the family share.

Preorder on your moms line and when the phone arrives plug it on iTunes and activate the phone on your line

So how does that work with a family share plan? I have a line that is eligible for an upgrade on the family share.

We well find out as I have ordered the iPhone 5 on my fathers line and not touched my line.