What's new

I Can't Generate Any New Mailboxes on iPhone 6

Durango

Reaction score
On my Win 7 PC I use Windows Live Mail. If I want to save emails that I received (or sent), I can save them in storage folders that I created. So I have created folders like Bob, Sis, AAA, OnStar, Internet Purchases, etc. So if I receive an email from sister, I can save it in the Sis folder.
I want to do the same thing on my iPhone 6. There I think they are called Mailboxes. When I try to create one, I get the error message 'Unable to create Mailbox on Server'.

I even opened an iCloud account and then tried to add mailboxes on my iMac. They created just fine and now appear under 'On My Mac' on the mailbox listing. But none appeared on my iPhone or iPad.

I know that my iPhone has a problem with my mail server, because I have to read and certify the certificate, and iPhone then goes through a verification process. After that, all is good....I can send and receive email, but I just can't save it to a mailbox.
I would appreciate any help/guidance. Thanks in advance.

When you set up your email
Account thru the exchange server it should show the inbox, trash, and any other folders you have created. Should it not or you need to add folders click on the email icon on your home screen. This is what I see when I do that:
image.jpg

Looking at the above picture you can see the word edit on the top right. When I click on it I can see on the lower right of the screen a box that says New Mailbox. If you click on that you should be able to get done what you want. When you finish, click on Done at the top of the screen to save what you did.

And if all that doesn't work, then I would guess you need to permanently resolve you verification issues.

With a Windows account, you should be able to see the same mailboxes on your iPhone and iPad.
Which way did you set up the account on your iDevices? If you used POP, you won't be able to set up mailboxes, and supposedly the ones you created elsewhere won't appear.

For Windows Live Mail, Hotmail and Outlook, you can use the Outlook option when you set up the account. Your account will be an IMAP account, which syncs mailboxes and emails between devices, so everything you do on one device will also be synced to the other one.

Delete the account you've setup (and that's causing the problems), and when you add the new account, use "Outlook.com".

Hope that helps.

With a Windows account, you should be able to see the same mailboxes on your iPhone and iPad.
Which way did you set up the account on your iDevices? If you used POP, you won't be able to set up mailboxes, and supposedly the ones you created elsewhere won't appear.

For Windows Live Mail, Hotmail and Outlook, you can use the Outlook option when you set up the account. Your account will be an IMAP account, which syncs mailboxes and emails between devices, so everything you do on one device will also be synced to the other one.

Delete the account you've setup (and that's causing the problems), and when you add the new account, use "Outlook.com".

Hope that helps.
OK, I tried everything you suggested. I had originally set up my email account as a POP because that's what my ISP said it was on my Win 7 computer. So I deleted this account on my iPhone and started over. This time I did select the Outlook.com option, but after I entered the basic account data I got the error message that I would not be able to send/receive mail because it wasn't a valid Outlook account.

So then I started over and created my iPhone account as an IMAP account, at least that appeared to be the default setting. I got the account all set up, clicked on New Mailbox, entered a Mailbox name, but then once again got the error message "Unable to Create Mailbox on Server".

Strangely, I was able to create New Mailboxes on my recently-established iCloud email account.

I obviously don't understand who/what determines whether my account is POP or IMAP, nor what it takes to use the Outlook option.

Further help would be appreciated...........thanks.

And if all that doesn't work, then I would guess you need to permanently resolve you verification issues.
Thanks for your responses. I plan on contacting my ISP tomorrow. However, the iPhone process does allow me to 'trust' the site and continue on establishing an email account, but I still can't create new Mailboxes.

I believe that is determined by the service provider. I have one account that can only be a pop account and it will not let me set up folders either but it's the account from my cable provider ( who you would think would be advanced in service provision but it's just not so). When I used the account on my laptop I sort what I haven't trashed. There is nothing Ielse you can do unless you can make the email account company change things.

Well, my problem has been fixed, thanks to a posting by GamerDogbert on the Apple Support Communities Forum. Here was the posted solution:
"FYI for anyone that it may help: In my experience the 'Unable to create Mailbox on server' message is caused by an incorrect IMAP Path Prefix. The default is "/" but if you are using shared virtual hosting it probably needs to be "INBOX" instead. When you look at your email account in Mail, if all the folders below Inbox {Drafts, Junk, Sent, Trash} are indented, this indicates the path is wrong. For iOS 7: from the Home screen, go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calendars > Your IMAP account > Account. Then, in the panel that pops up, tap Advanced, then go down to IMAP Path Prefix and type "INBOX" (case sensitive). Swap back over to Mail and the account should automatically update, and the folders will no longer be indented, and you should be able to create/delete folders (Apple calls them Mailboxes) to your heart's desire."

I can now create Mailboxes on my iPhone 6. Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help.

Glad that works for you. I am guessing that the email you are talking about isn't limited to pop server because when I go to Advanced I see nothing about the IMAP path.

Glad that works for you. I am guessing that the email you are talking about isn't limited to pop server because when I go to Advanced I see nothing about the IMAP path.
Funny that you mentioned that, because when I tried to implement this same solution on my iPad, I got the same results as you..........nothing about the IMAP path prefix. So now I need to try and find a solution for my iPad.

I look forward to hearing your results. Good luck.

I got it fixed. I first deleted my mail account, since it was a POP. Then I started over and re-created my iPad mail account as an IMAP account, at least that appeared to be the default setting. I got the account all set up, after which I was able to go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calendars > My IMAP account > Account. Then, in the panel that poped up, I tapped Advanced and once again found the IMAP Path Prefix and I typed in "INBOX".

So I ended up doing on my iPad the same as I did on my iPhone. I deleted my old account identified as a POP then re-created the account as a default IMAP account.

Lucky you. My one remaining pop account is designated that way from my ISP/cable company.

I forgot to add. Now my iPhone and iPad are in sync. So when I add a new Mailbox to my iPhone, it also shows up on my iPad, which is the way I wanted it.

And you made me curious and I just discovered my cable company now let's my account be IMAP or pop. So I will be deleting the account and then adding it as an IMAP account. Thank you for the nudge!