What's new

How to stop DATA USAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robredd72

Reaction score
AT&T has sent my phone an automated messege informaing me I have used 90 percent of my data usage. I do not want be billed an additional 15.00 monthly as I can only afford the 200mb plan!!!!! What can I do to DECREASE data usage? I know I do not stream video or music on my phone. I am guilty if sending people pics attacted to texts which I suspect is using a good deal of data. Otherwise I realize that I cannot surf the web via safari or whatever and not expect data usage. I noticed that my data usage seemed to jump up after installing Facebook? I try ot to check my email via phone also. What are all of the things I can do to put a cap on this data usuage?

Facebook is a data hog... Because it has to load each page and all the pictures on it. You can go into settings and turn off the cell data slider until your next bill cycle.

I know how you feel I've been there and hated it! I upgraded my iPhone so I kept my unlimited data. After my husband saw my phone he wanted one to so he got one but we had to get the new data plan for him! After talking to a couple of reps from AT&T about how 2gb is alot and only 2% of users go over this and that we felt ok about him getting it. Well BS same here he doesn't stream or download, he does surf the web here and there but to he is always using our house wifi or I use mywi app when he's with me to create a wifi spot for him. First month he went over the 2gb once! We didn't understand why or how but we let it pass. Second month he went over twice!!! I went off on him but we both couldn't figure out how is he using that much???? I called AT&T about four times and none of the reps could give us an answer. They all said the same **** pretty much use wifi which we did, turn of the data when not in use we didn't see much of a difference and turn off the push in settings for email and when I want to see if I got mail go back and turn it on. Oh and also I asked about capping it right at 2Gb and they don't cap!What ****** me off is that three of the reps said they haven't seen anybody use that much data! And on of them said " mam your the first person calling us and complaining about our new data plans" I went off and told him I'm suprised because after calling the first time I googled how to prevent going over data and what pops up nothing but complaints!!!!! I felt bad but we were about to cut his phone because paying $45 on data alone was not worth it! That's when I remembered that we could take over contracts. I got on craigslist lol yes craigslist and posted I'll take over your contract but must include grandfathered data plan. Next day someone called me, we met at the store did the switch and now my husband is happy because he kept his phone and now has the unlimited data plan!!!! I like AT&T been with them 6 years and if we dudnt have the grandfathered data plan I would switch with verizon. Hopefully they offer it again or more data for that price because I'm sure alot of people will be going to another carrier. I wish you luck and hope you find away not to go over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey people. So it's not just AT&T. I'm on vodacom in South Africa and I got a call from the centre after I complained about unexplained data usage. The dude said that iTunes was using most of the data. So I have signed out of iTunes and it seems to have helped. Only down side is that iMessage won't work however there are other message apps like whatsapp. So when you're done on the App Store make sure to always sign out - that way there won't be a way for the phone to connect and transfer data to apple. Internet still works fine

i was using a of of data and asked my provider for advise,they told me to turn off my mobile data when there is wifi available like at home for example,apparently if wifi drops your network takes over....it worked a treat for me.

I know how you feel I've been there and hated it! I upgraded my iPhone so I kept my unlimited data. After my husband saw my phone he wanted one to so he got one but we had to get the new data plan for him! After talking to a couple of reps from AT&T about how 2gb is alot and only 2% of users go over this and that we felt ok about him getting it. Well BS same here he doesn't stream or download, he does surf the web here and there but to he is always using our house wifi or I use mywi app when he's with me to create a wifi spot for him. First month he went over the 2gb once! We didn't understand why or how but we let it pass. Second month he went over twice!!! I went off on him but we both couldn't figure out how is he using that much???? I called AT&T about four times and none of the reps could give us an answer. They all said the same **** pretty much use wifi which we did, turn of the data when not in use we didn't see much of a difference and turn off the push in settings for email and when I want to see if I got mail go back and turn it on. Oh and also I asked about capping it right at 2Gb and they don't cap!What ****** me off is that three of the reps said they haven't seen anybody use that much data! And on of them said " mam your the first person calling us and complaining about our new data plans" I went off and told him I'm suprised because after calling the first time I googled how to prevent going over data and what pops up nothing but complaints!!!!! I felt bad but we were about to cut his phone because paying $45 on data alone was not worth it! That's when I remembered that we could take over contracts. I got on craigslist lol yes craigslist and posted I'll take over your contract but must include grandfathered data plan. Next day someone called me, we met at the store did the switch and now my husband is happy because he kept his phone and now has the unlimited data plan!!!! I like AT&T been with them 6 years and if we dudnt have the grandfathered data plan I would switch with verizon. Hopefully they offer it again or more data for that price because I'm sure alot of people will be going to another carrier. I wish you luck and hope you find away not to go over.

please mind your language,this is a family forum,thank you.