What's new

How to SHUT THE THING OFF!

Tricon7

Reaction score
I had some down time at work in the office today (cubicles), and I had my ringer off on my phone (which I ignorantly thought would keep my iPhone silent in all circumstances). I had just downloaded a radio station app, and I was exploring it when my finger - instead of scrolling the page up - instead selected a station, and some guy on this talk show starts blathering in a loud voice about relationships from my speaker. It's deathly quiet in this place, and it might as well have come out of a bullhorn. I desperately tried to shut him up - I pushed the "home" button at the bottom, and though it took me there, he kept running his mouth. I tried to shut the phone down with the button at the top (a bit of overkill, I admit, but I was scrambling), but of course nothing happened in the rush of the moment. Maybe I needed to stomp the thing. I finally had to unplug my headphone jack from my computer and hurriedly plug it into my iPhone. So my heart is racing and everyone on the floor is eerily quiet, knowing somebody screwed up.

Is there a mute button on the iPhone that I can quickly press, or do I have to dig into the settings to find it? The vibrate button was on (next to the volume control buttons), but it didn't do a d*** thing. I imagine I'm not the only one who's made this mistake in a place that demands silence.

Which brings me to another issue. I completely exited the app (so I thought), which would have killed it on a computer, but it kept going on my iPhone. I've opened some apps, grew tired and went back to the "home" page. Then, when I went back to the app later, it was either still playing or "frozen" at the place I left it. How do you "close" an app? How would I have closed the one that caused me such trouble today?

Your volume control buttons need to be your first instinct with an iPhone when it comes to any sound.

Your bigger question though is very easy to answer if you are on iOS 4.

You simply hit the home button twice. This will bring up a bar with your last 4 apps used. Hold one of them down, like you want to uninstall/delete something, and they will do their little dance. Hit the red X and that should kill the app out of memory.

This process will take longer than hitting the volume button several times to get things under control though.

You should just have quickly pressed the volume buttons at the side off the iPhone, surely they would stop the sound?

You should just have quickly pressed the volume buttons at the side off the iPhone, surely they would stop the sound?

Yeah, but I was in such a frantic hurry. I had thought that putting my phone on vibrate would stop all sounds, so when that idiot started blaring out of my speakers, I was flustered and started looking for a mute button, or even a power-off-now button - neither of which exist, I discovered. Live and learn.