What's new

How to setup Iphone to NOT delete email from server.

Enob

Reaction score
I would like to view my Gmail from my iPhone, then send it to trash (delete) but not delete it from the Gmail server (inbox). I then want to be able to open Outlook on my PC and download the email that I had previously read and trashed on the iPhone.

I understand I must set up the iPhone account as a pop3, and not use the default Gmail install setup on the iPhone. (It defaults to imap) Problem is that I've not discovered all the correct setting combinations when setting up the Gmail account using the "other" option. If I fumble around for another 3 days, I can probably figure it out, but if anyone can lead me through it, I'd as soon not have to reinvent the wheel. Many thanks, in advance.

Thanks but this link refers to Microsoft Exchange, and how to sync up phones. It also sets up an IMAP account. By its nature if you delete an email on the iPhone, it deletes it off the server.

Unless I misunderstand....this is not what I asked. I don't want to sync my iPhone; I want to be able to trash an email on my iPhone and have it NOT delete it from the Gmail server.

And that is exactly how it works. iOS doesn't delete gmail under the exchange setup. It simply marks it as archived. Which means iOS won't show it under the inbox but it is still available from a full gmail client or from the web interface.

You can test this very easily to confirm.

That worked like a charm. Many thanks.