What's new

how do I turn on English text prediction on iPhone 3GS

ray9

Reaction score
There is no English text prediction feature or option on my iPhone 3GS. There is only auto-correction, which is not the same; it only corrects words after a whole incorrectly word is typed out. But I need text prediction. It works for Chinese text input, but I need it for English. is there any solution?

Is this normal for the 3GS, or is my phone bugged? My op system shows at 6.1.6 (10B 500).

Welcome to iPhoneForums, ray9!

Predictive was introduced with iOS 8. The only feature you can use on your iPhone is Auto-Correction in Settings - General - Keyboards. It should predict words as well, if you set up an English keyboard in addition to the Chinese one.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, ray9!

Predictive was introduced with iOS 8. The only feature you can use on your iPhone is Auto-Correction in Settings - General - Keyboards. It should predict words as well, if you set up an English keyboard in addition to the Chinese one.

The problem is Auto-Correction does not actually "predict words as well" with the English keyboard on; are you sure it is supposed to? May I ask your source of that "supposed to" knowledge? Thanks!

The problem is Auto-Correction does not actually "predict words as well" with the English keyboard on; are you sure it is supposed to? May I ask your source of that "supposed to" knowledge? Thanks!
I've tried it on my iDevice. My primary language is English, and I've added German. I don't use the Predictive feature, and enabled Auto-Correction. It worked.
I've also found comments online that tell that Auto-Correction works this way on 6.1.6.

Did you try it on an iPhone 3GS that was running 6.1.6 or which device ? My primary language is English too (I guess so, but it doesn't actually say "primary" anywhere under the Keyboard settings.) But my iPhone 3GS does not have any Predictive feature option to turn on or off like you device does have. And I've tried hundreds of times and Auto-correction only suggests corrections for whole mis-spelled words; it won't predict anything at all. I've seen some of those comments that you've seen online. but also found comments contradicting those too. So I don't know what to believe. Can anyone with an iPhone 3GS share your experience with this this?

And what is Apple's official "position" on the Auto-correction being able to do prediction on an iPhone 3GS? I just need to know if my phone is normal or abnormal.

I didn't use Predictive because I knew it's not available for you. Auto-Correction works the same on my iPhone.

Here's information from Apple's manual for iPhones with iOS 6 installed:
image.jpg

I hope that will help a little.