What's new

How do I teach iOS new words?

ardchoille

Reaction score
I sometimes see words underlined in red and would like to remove the underline - see screenshot below. The only way I know to do this is to get iOS to "learn" the word - I'm guessing it needs to be added to the dictionary. However, I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I tapped the word but I don't see anything in the resulting menu that deals with adding the word to the dictionary. Of course, I could be going about this all wrong.

IMG_0414.PNG

Can anyone teach me how to remove the red underline for words that are not familiar to iOS?

I've found that if I keep spelling one of those red underlined words the same way, it will eventually accept my spelling and stop telling me it's incorrectly spelled.

BTW, I don't see the red line when I type Trisquit.

I've found that if I keep spelling one of those red underlined words the same way, it will eventually accept my spelling and stop telling me it's incorrectly spelled.

BTW, I don't see the red line when I type Trisquit.
So, the system learns as you use it. Nice to know. But, I think Apple should add a "Learn" button to the menu that results when tapping a word that is spelled incorrectly.. I feel this would help the system learn faster.

Edit: I don't remember seeing this when typing that word in my iPhone 5s either, but it's happening now in my iPhone 6.

My web developer mind keeps thinking Cascading Style Sheet, and I wonder if iOS uses CSS for this. I'd love to get in there and do

underline: {none;}

I sometimes see words underlined in red and would like to remove the underline - see screenshot below. The only way I know to do this is to get iOS to "learn" the word - I'm guessing it needs to be added to the dictionary. However, I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I tapped the word but I don't see anything in the resulting menu that deals with adding the word to the dictionary. Of course, I could be going about this all wrong.

View attachment 18559

Can anyone teach me how to remove the red underline for words that are not familiar to iOS?
Triscuit. Sometimes your phone really does know better.

Maybe your phone finally learned it "your" way. I had to check the box in my pantry to be sure.but it looks like spelling it the way I suggested made your phone decide to accept the way you spell it. There is a clue there I am sure.

By the way, when I see words underlined I red I tap the word and a replacement for the word is recommended. Maybe that is part of how the phone learns.

Maybe your phone finally learned it "your" way. I had to check the box in my pantry to be sure.but it looks like spelling it the way I suggested made your phone decide to accept the way you spell it. There is a clue there I am sure.
Ok, now I'm even more confused:

IMG_0417.PNG

I went ahead and tapped the suggested spelling, hit the return key and was left with this:

IMG_0418.PNG

Clearly I'm doing something wrong here

By the way, when I see words underlined I red I tap the word and a replacement for the word is recommended. Maybe that is part of how the phone learns.
Perhaps the system is confused because of my inability to spell words correctly? lol.

Perhaps the system is confused because of my inability to spell words correctly? lol.
I think, and it's just a guess, that what you originally wanted, happened; you "taught" the phone to spell it trisquit.

What I'm going to do is look my OCD square in the face and say "live with it". Life's too short to worry about some red underlining :)

There is something in the keyboard settings that will allow you to save new words. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is something in the keyboard settings that will allow you to save new words. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could you point me to the exact location in Settings please? I cannot seem to find it.