What's new

How do I add more info about a phone number in address book

JackPollack

Reaction score
What is the best way to put memos about a phone number in the phone number field?
eg:

Work: (123) 456-7891 (Tech support)
Work: (123) 987-6543 (Customer Service)

Under iOS 5.1 on the iPad when adding a Contact's phone number, you can click on the label (ie mobile) and it will bring up a list of pre-created labels as well as the ability to Add Custom Label.

So you would add two new labels with each of your requirements.

It just occurred to me I type iPad. Just checked the iPhone and it doesn't have that capability. Which is odd considering both are on iOS 5.1. iCloud.com also has the ability as well. So if you have your contacts synced thru iCloud, you might be able to edit on either the web or iPad and see if it carries over.

Thanks for your reply.
Running IOS 5.1 and cant figure out how to get the custom labels, just the stock ones.
I also think my next question may be after getting that to work is how is this going to sync with my Exchange address book.

Just noticed your second post. I was also checking on on the ipad. I dont actually own an iPhone but was trying to get my data ready on the ipad for my phone which I will be getting in a few weeks. Wonder what will happen when I sync my phone with custom labels with my ipad and Exchange account.

Also that fact that I cant create them on the PC side means that I will have to do a lot of editing on the phone side. That sucks!

Any other ideas? Thanks

If you have an iCloud account, you can go to www.icloud.com and edit them there.

And I tested my google contacts that I sync for fun. They do push the custom label to the iPhone. So I am willing to bet the contacts you setup in the iPad will push to the iPhone properly.

So I have my iPad here running IOS5.1
When I bring up the label menu it list 10 stock labels, but I dont see a way to add a custom one.
I tried both on an existing contact that came from the Exchange server and a brand new contact.

If I remove syncing contacts with Exchange I do get the option to add custom labels. Obviously this wont work as I need the contacts form Exchange. So now I need a workaround for labeling these numbers. If I put the label in parentheses it syncs but looks ugly since the iphone cant parse the number correctly, but more importantly the iphone cat dial with this extra data.

There has to b some way to label these numbers otherwise they are useless and not being able to dial is also pointless.

Unbelievable in this day and age it is still so complicated to sync contacts, cal, notes, task easily!
in the movie Independence Day we were able to infect an alien computer with a virus.

LOL. You would think it would be easy. But sadly this is what happens when you have at least a dozen major protocols for storing information.

I know you can do what you want with Google's Contacts. And as you discovered you can do the same with Apple's system. Beyond that, I don't have a good suggestion for fixing MS Exchange contacts.

FYI, kinda found a workaround:

If I add manual pause to the number I can then add text after the pause and the number still dials
(800) 555-1212;(Tech Support)

Not perfect, but it works