What's new

Hello, I forgot iTunes backup password, How can recover?

kityniss

Reaction score
Hello, I forgot my iTunes backup password on my Windows 7, now I can't access to my iTunes backup, I can't remember it at all!!! Is there any way could recover the password or unlock backup?

That's not possible, sorry!
If you don't remember the password, you can't restore from that backup, and you can't disable iTunes backup encryption.

You can backup to iCloud. It encrypts your backups automatically.

If you want to turn off encryption for your backups in iTunes, you'll have to erase your device and set it up as new. It's possible to make a backup to iCloud before erasing, and then restoring from that backup, so you won't lose all your information.

This problem is worse than it initially appears. Without the password, you cannot delete the backup and start again. Attempting to deselect encryption will result in iTunes asking for the password. The only way around this issue, it appears, is to uninstall iTunes from the PC, making sure to get rid of every trace of it, then reinstall and hope for the best.

Mac users are slightly more fortunate in this respect because the password is available, unencrypted, in Keychain.

EDIT: Not making any guarantees, because I haven't tried this software myself. It is a brute force tool which will attempt every combination of possible characters until it finds the right one. If your password is long or complex, it could take a very long time, just FYI.

iPhone Backup Unlocker Professional

Last edited:
This problem is worse than it initially appears. Without the password, you cannot delete the backup and start again. Attempting to deselect encryption will result in iTunes asking for the password. The only way around this issue, it appears, is to uninstall iTunes from the PC, making sure to get rid of every trace of it, then reinstall and hope for the best.

Mac users are slightly more fortunate in this respect because the password is available, unencrypted, in Keychain.

EDIT: Not making any guarantees, because I haven't tried this software myself. It is a brute force tool which will attempt every combination of possible characters until it finds the right one. If your password is long or complex, it could take a very long time, just FYI.

Thanks for the Keychain tip. I'll have to remember it in case I ever forget my encryption password.

This is a free program? Do I need to purchase the full version?

Last edited:
For the complete password, you'll need the paid version. The free one provides the first two letters only.

I recovered my iphone backup password from keychain access. Save me lots of trouble! Thanks a lot!