What's new

Heavy-Duty iPhone 6 Rumor Round-Up!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone-6-concept-shiny-gold.jpg

If the September 9th rumored launch date for the iPhone 6 holds up, then we have less than a month to go before Apple's greatest smartphone in years is officially revealed. Here at HQ we are so excited by this massively new and different iPhone that we can hardly contain our enthusiasm.

We thought it would be really awesome to have a rumor round-up story to hold us over and/or make us drool even more before the big reveal. Sound off and share which of these rumors gets you the most excited about the new super-phone from Apple!

• September 9th reveal date - this is one we alluded to in our intro above, but it bears repeating. Most of the solid intel points to this as the date for the iPhone 6 official reveal. Of course, it's possible they might change their minds at the last minute and announce it days later (or earlier), but we just want it to come ASAP! After its announcement, it could be available immediately, or it might not start shipping until September 19th. We shall see.
  • Sapphire glass display - We are excited by this one because sapphire glass is supposedly several times stronger than the Gorilla Glass we have seen in previous iPhones. Despite this, new intel suggests it's possible the iPhone 6 will not have a pure sapphire glass screen, but will instead have a hybridized sapphire composite laminate. This is supposedly better than the previous Gorilla Glass, but isn't as tough as a pure sapphire glass display would be. (check out the video we included in the thread below for more details.)
  • Thinner & lighter design - this one isn't too surprising at all. For the most part, Apple has done a remarkable job reducing the footprint of nearly every single version of their iPhone. Despite this not being very surprising, we still can't wait to check it out in person.
  • Intriguing new aesthetic design for the case - based upon the early leak of the iPhone 6's design blue-prints, several 3D renderings and even actual physical copies have cropped up around the globe. Even if Apple pulls a fast one and fakes us out with a completely different design, we are thrilled either way. The leaked design is gorgeous and looks to be comfortable to grip, and Apple has always been great at creating an eye-catching product.
  • Improved battery life - Apple's iPhone is typically one of the better smartphones on the market for efficient battery life. However, over the past couple of years, they have been surpassed in longevity by competitors like Samsung, LG and HTC. Regardless of whether the new iPhone lasts longer than its competition, as long as the rumored 15% battery life increase is true, that will be just fine by us!
  • Improved camera with Optical Image Stabilization - although the iPhone's camera has always been one of the best you can find on a smartphone, we won't complain at all if it is even better. Taking pics of our favorite events is still one of the best things about the iPhone, and now those images will look even better!
  • More powerful processor - this rumor is another one we shouldn't be too surprised by. While some iPhone upgrades have seen larger technological leaps than others, Apple always finds away to pack a bit more power into their devices. Supposedly, the iPhone 6 will come with 20-nanometer A8 chip from TSMC. Rumors suggest it will be a dual-core 64-bit chip and will be roughly 30% faster than the previous chip in the iPhone 5.
  • Atmospheric sensor - intel uncovered during the iOS 8 beta suggests the iPhone 6 (or at least some future Apple product) will have a new sensor to go along with the plethora of data sensors it already has. This new sensor will supposedly be able to sense atmospheric conditions. Could our iPhones suddenly gain the ability to become our very own personal weather-station? This seems pretty cool!
  • More powerful Wi-Fi - according to this rumor, Apple has figured out a way to shoe-horn an upgrades Wi-Fi radio into the new iPhone 6. This will be an 802.11ac, or "Gigabit" Wi-Fi radio. This would prove handy in situations where you use your iPhone 6 at work (or rare instances for folks who have Gigabit Internet connections at home).
  • Larger displays - we saved this one for last because it's probably our favorite new feature. Although the 4-inch display on the iPhone 5S was a marked improvement from the previous size, most of us here at HQ have come to the conclusion that the 4.7-inch form factor is just the perfect size for everyday use. We also admit that a few of us are fond of the larger phablet style devices, and these folks are holding out hope that the rumored 5.5-inch display version of the iPhone 6 is real and comes along quickly. We also are excited to check out the new thinner bezel the new iPhone 6 will be sporting.

That's all for now folks. We probably missed a couple or more rumors that you might have heard. If so, please share them in the comments below, and don't forget to let us know what you are most excited about on the next iPhone!

Here's that video we referenced above in the story:

Do you think that the iPhone6 will be built for the split screen, multi-tasking feature that has been rumored to be coming in iOS8?

The rumour of a larger display excites me the most, It's long overdue.

If it's exactly like my 4s, but with a much larger display I will be happy! All the other features will just be an added bonus :)

Yes more HD space would be fantastic for those of us who have too much music that we like to carry around with us :)

Even though I like the design of my iPhone 5s MUCH better, I'm looking forward to the larger screen(4.7) and the larger memory that the rumored iPhone 6 brings.

Yes more HD space would be fantastic for those of us who have too much music that we like to carry around with us :)

For me as I use Spotify I don't use up as much space for music, unless I use offline mode, but other media such as photos and video, as well as the many apps/games from the app store take up my space that i've had to delete some to make room on my 64GB phone.

I have a samsung jelly bean camera that I never use and still rely heavily on my iPhone for pics and video as I don't like to carry around my camera, unless I go on holiday.