What's new

Having problems getting retail cashiers to understand Apple Pay

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
It seems that the cashiers at McDonald's and other retail chains don't necessarily know what Apple Pay is. If you tell them you intend to pay with your iPhone 6's Apple Pay NFC feature, expect some blank stares. It seems as if all you have to do is hold your phone near the terminal and then hit your fingerprint scanner to get it to work without even involving the cashier. You just need to tell them you are paying with credit card.

Sound off and let us know if you have run into issues using Apple Pay yet.

Ha ya sometimes I've asked cashiers if they support Apple Pay and I get the blank stare. To be fair, the first time it happened was the first day Apple Pay rolled out... and it was at a Starbucks, which I just assumed supported it. Turns out Apple hasn't rolled it out to Starbucks yet.

So now, I have to figure out if the cashier doesn't know what to do with Apple Pay because they haven't been trained on it, or if the store just hasn't gotten the terminal yet.

I thought Starbucks wasn't using Apple Pay Except for in app purchases.

You can't buy a latte with your iPhone 6. Starbucks is only supporting the in-app version of Apple Pay. It will be "primarily for loading and reloading" your Starbucks Card, says Maggie Jantzen, a Starbucks spokesperson. Starbucks stores don't currently have the NFC technology needed to make use of Apple's tap-to-pay feature.

I also thought I heard they are using the QR code model.

Last edited:
I thought Starbuckbeadvreallybusing Apple Paybrxcept for in app purchases.

You can't buy a latte with your iPhone 6. Starbucks is only supporting the in-app version of Apple Pay. It will be "primarily for loading and reloading" your Starbucks Card, says Maggie Jantzen, a Starbucks spokesperson. Starbucks stores don't currently have the NFC technology needed to make use of Apple's tap-to-pay feature.

I also thought I heard they are using the QR code model.
Oh I didnt know that. That kind of sucks. Although the starbucks app is pretty similar to apple pay. And it will be nice to be able to reload the card with apple pay. Good to know . Thanks @bear7962!

I haven't tried using it, but I wondered the same thing. I remember a few years back when those touch-not-swipe credit cards came out I had a friend who would get blank stares when he tried to use it.

I'm sure it wont take too long until most of the bigger stores have trained their cashiers, but until then, count me out! ;)