What's new

Have I made a big mistake getting the iPhone X?

iPhone X is definatly better, there is always a period of little uncerainity when starting something new.
You will start liking it give sometime.

Very true! At first I didn’t like that things were actually smaller with the screen not being as wide and then after a few days of use I picked up my 6s Plus and it looked so weird with the white around the screen that I put it on eBay. Now I really appreciate my X and am glad I got it. First thing I did notice about the X is that I type so much better on it. That in itself is a big plus for me. Also, I cannot live without Face ID now. So much easier than the buggy fingerprint scanner. I thought I’d miss the home button at first, but I definitely don’t. So glad I took the plunge and got the X.

Very true! At first I didn’t like that things were actually smaller with the screen not being as wide and then after a few days of use I picked up my 6s Plus and it looked so weird with the white around the screen that I put it on eBay. Now I really appreciate my X and am glad I got it. First thing I did notice about the X is that I type so much better on it. That in itself is a big plus for me. Also, I cannot live without Face ID now. So much easier than the buggy fingerprint scanner. I thought I’d miss the home button at first, but I definitely don’t. So glad I took the plunge and got the X.
I love every aspect of the phone apart from the screen issue, for me anyway. I think the face ID is fantastic especially for passwords, fat fingers and bad eyes are the worst nightmares on the X, I'm not saying it cant be done as I AM using it, BUT I don't feel as relaxed as I was with the 7 Plus, so it's all about compromise, just a shame about the screen size economy with the truth and that is fact as can be seen in my pictures. All I want is the actual visible 7 Plus Screen as a phone. edge to edge, no notches, then I will be happy!

I will stop moaning and get back to my iPad Pro large, at least I can see that :)

If you're concerned with your daughter having an expensive smart phone and she is satisfied with the 7+ then let her keep the 7+ and you sell the X. That will solve the problem for both scenarios.

I can't speak for the crimes in London as I'm living in the States. But I know that just having an iPhone opens you up to crime, though obviously the newest one will me the most attractive to them. With phones having the kill switch it should be useless if stolen.

Do you guys have a lost and stolen protection purchase offer there in London?
I have stolen protection with my homes insurance but would not want her put in a situation that she would be robbed, she had an iPhone 6 Plus before, funny thing now is she would never go back to a smaller phone like the 5 she used to have, BUT she certainly has her eyes on my X :)

I bought a pair of those toothbrushes you stick in your ear Apple brought out, I felt such a dick even walking around the house I gave them to her, well she acquired them when she saw them lying around, and she loves them, I guess maybe I am getting too fussy in my old age and should leave all this gadget stuff to you younger people.

I love every aspect of the phone apart from the screen issue, for me anyway. I think the face ID is fantastic especially for passwords, fat fingers and bad eyes are the worst nightmares on the X, I'm not saying it cant be done as I AM using it, BUT I don't feel as relaxed as I was with the 7 Plus, so it's all about compromise, just a shame about the screen size economy with the truth and that is fact as can be seen in my pictures. All I want is the actual visible 7 Plus Screen as a phone. edge to edge, no notches, then I will be happy!

I will stop moaning and get back to my iPad Pro large, at least I can see that :)

Yes, that would be better to have a screen that size edge to edge. I use my iPad Pro large most of the time and only use my phone when I’m out or in the car so I’m happy enough.[emoji4]

These images may help you understand how the new screen on the X is in fact SMALLER than the iPhone 7 Plus, the claimed biggest ever 5.8" screen on the X includes the messy pointless horns which cannot be classed as usable screen as the big notch obliterates anything that area, NEVER MIND the rounded corners. All playing with words and who's got the biggest, when in truth sometimes big isn't always beautiful OR useful :)

Great photos that help explain the difference. Thanks for taking the time to post these!

A week with the X.

I bought the Phone X and gave my 7 Plus to my eldest daughter, this morning she was showing me something on it and boy do I miss that lovely big screen. As mentioned in a previous post I am having terrible trouble reading in portrait mode on the skinny X, I have to turn it to landscape and zoom in, an age thing when your eyes are past 4K mode :). What I don’t miss is the strain on my thumb moving around all of the 7 plus real estate, but how I wish the X had the same size viewable screen.

It is all about compromise, but having all these jazzy features and not being able to see them clearly and comfortably is a concern, anyway my daughter has assured me anytime I want to switch phones with her she will do the swap. Maybe it’s better to look forward, wish I hadn’t held my beautiful 7 plus this morning, stuff OLED (only great if you have OLED compatible eyes!) it’s size that matters especially width! Long and thin is not doing it for me I’m afraid :-(

Anyone else got feelings they wish to share? I certainly don’t feel that after having a fling with the X there is no going back :)

I would give it a few weeks and see if the new display grows on you. I came from a 6, so for me the X was a really nice upgrade. I might feel different if I was coming from a plus phone. I'd certainly like to hear more input from previous plus users!

Interesting! I will be replacing my iPhone 6 Plus with the X. I hope I won't miss the width of the screen on the 6 Plus.

Great photos that help explain the difference. Thanks for taking the time to post these!
They aren't mine they are taken from the article :) BUT does give an indication of what 6.5" looks like if you have never seen that size before, would have been nice to have an iPhone 7 or 8 Plus next to them as well.

Interesting! I will be replacing my iPhone 6 Plus with the X. I hope I won't miss the width of the screen on the 6 Plus.
I don't think there is an issue for young folks, its the old ones like me that need the extra width, just waiting for the 65" OLED iPhone Super Size :)

I think a lot people that have had the remorse of the x have been plus or previous plus owners. A few of my friends had the X for a few days and brought it back for the 8 plus. It wasn’t that they didn’t like the phone... they were used to the size- so in their instances, size matters

I think a lot people that have had the remorse of the x have been plus or previous plus owners. A few of my friends had the X for a few days and brought it back for the 8 plus. It wasn’t that they didn’t like the phone... they were used to the size- so in their instances, size matters
Yup. But for me, the size of the Plus is what drew me to the smaller X. Love it. Wouldn't go back. However, I hear there's an X Plus in the works for 2018 that should address those who don't like the screen of the X. It won't be for me. I've got my "perfect" phone.

I have been an iPhone user since the 6 Plus time & each time a new "Plus" was released, I picked it up even if there wasn't much change in the aesthetics, hardware, software, etc - prior to coming to the iPhone, I was a big Android user and loved the larger phones there as well - especially the Note series. With all that said, I love the iPhone X (notch and all :)) - the screen is awesome and the size is perfect (screen and phone). I pick up my 8 Plus and think wow, this seems almost clunky but I know it is just the mind playing tricks on me LOL.

If an X Plus is released, I would most likely give it a whirl too.

I can see myself not using the Plus for very long, it already feels and looks old. I will use it for work stuff, but it will become painful soon [emoji106][emoji94]