What's new

Hard Factory Reset

ogfergison

Reaction score
I have an Iphone 5 that has a passcode on it and i want to factory reset it. Is there any way to restore the factory setting without using itunes? Can i just hold down specific buttons and do this? Or is there a way that i can do it through itunes without knowing the passcode.

I know that in the past you were able to factory reset a device by holding buttons. I did it on an old second gen iPod touch.

I have an Iphone 5 that has a passcode on it and i want to factory reset it. Is there any way to restore the factory setting without using itunes? Can i just hold down specific buttons and do this? Or is there a way that i can do it through itunes without knowing the passcode.

I know that in the past you were able to factory reset a device by holding buttons. I did it on an old second gen iPod touch.

If the phone is passcode locked and you don't know the password, the only way to do a factory reset is to connect the iPhone to iTunes on your computer. You can't do it through settings on the phone as the phone is locked by an unknown password. Look here for instructions. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Factory resets are at a software level not a physical level. If you're pass code locked out, you'll need to put your device into either recovery mode or DFU mode since iTunes will require that you unlock your device before restoring in normal mode