What's new

Gps from iPhone to iPad

superfish

Reaction score
I have researched this an I'm mostly convinced it can't be done. However most of the posts that I found were from 2014 or earlier. I found reference to an app that could make this happen but it seems to no longer be available

So, can any one confirm this? Any new technology or apps?

Bob

If your carrier permits teathering, you can link the iPhone to a WiFi only iPad and get GPS that way. It should work with Maps, etc.

If your carrier permits teathering, you can link the iPhone to a WiFi only iPad and get GPS that way. It should work with Maps, etc.
That won't work as the GPS chip is in the iPhone, not the iPad. All that tethering would do is make an internet connection for the WiFi only iPad.

In that case, I stand corrected! I was going by a Cult of Mac article.

Well, thanks for your answers. As I suspected there is just no reasonable work-around. At the price of dongles I'll just buy the cellular iPad. Just wanted to be sure nothing had popped up that I didn't know about.

bob

Well, thanks for your answers. As I suspected there is just no reasonable work-around. At the price of dongles I'll just buy the cellular iPad. Just wanted to be sure nothing had popped up that I didn't know about.

bob
The GPS will work without a cellular data plan but will fix your location faster if you have a data plan. It's called assisted GPS.

The GPS will work without a cellular data plan but will fix your location faster if you have a data plan. It's called assisted GPS.

Yep, I have the cellular iPad third generation and the new big-boy Pro and don't use cellular but the HPS works fine.

Edit: that's GPS not HPS, my own fat fingered error, not autocorrect.

Yep, I have the cellular iPad third generation and the new big-boy Pro and don't use cellular but the HPS works fine.

Edit: that's GPS not HPS, my own fat fingered error, not autocorrect.
I was wondering. HPS; holographic positioning system?;) A new feature in iOS 25?