What's new

Got The iPhone 3GS Today - Need Help To UNLOCK It

jimt29 said:
Iclarified has no current information to offer. The last firmware link is 05.16.02.

Therefore you must update to the ipad baseband and lose your gps capability in the process

there are many videos on unlocking and jailbreaking the iPhone 3GS but each one offers a different approach to do it.

Is there a "Best" instructional video to unlock the iPhone 3GS, firmware 05.15.05 - Serial number: 82 046 xxx, IOS version 5.0.1 using Redsn0w?

With all the conflicting suggestions I don't yet feel comfortable enough to take the plunge.

Please help,

Thanks

Jim T

Well I took a deep breath and tried to unlock it using Redsn0w_win_0.9.10b5c (upgraded today).

Following the explicit video directions (
) I got as far as a screen that said This device can't be -tethered or untethered whatever ??? (I didn't get the rest). Then the phone wouldn't power up using the on/off button but.........I did get it to boot using the power and home buttons but alas I accomplished nothing.

At least I didn't completely ruin the phone.

I wrote the damn directions down item by item three (3) times to be sure I understood what I was doing but no luck.

There are a few folks here in Rhode Island that advertise that they can successfully unlock the phone so.........

OOOPS! I revisited the Youtube video and I clicked MORE and I see where this procedure doesn't support Firmware 05.16.05. Now I gotta try and find an alternative process.

Last edited by a moderator:
jimt29 said:
Well I took a deep breath and tried to unlock it using Redsn0w_win_0.9.10b5c (upgraded today).

Following the explicit video directions (YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZJ3toCoL7o) I got as far as a screen that said This device can't be -tethered or untethered whatever ??? (I didn't get the rest). Then the phone wouldn't power up using the on/off button but.........I did get it to boot using the power and home buttons but alas I accomplished nothing.

At least I didn't completely ruin the phone.

I wrote the damn directions down item by item three (3) times to be sure I understood what I was doing but no luck.

There are a few folks here in Rhode Island that advertise that they can successfully unlock the phone so.........

Just for future reference you should try to always use the latest redsn0w.

I noticed a link in Redsn0w that directed me to get the newest version, which I did.

That said does anybody have a link to a really good video for the iPhone 3GS I have?

Modem Firmware: 05.16.15

Serial Number: 820464JEEDG

OS Version: 5.0.01

Ran f0rcast: Serial number: same - Baseband: same
Bootloader: 6.4_M3S2
Model: MC555
Jailbreakable?: NO
Unlockable?: Upgrade to iPad BB

If you notice f0rcast says Jailbreakable?: NO

Does that mean OLD BOOTROM? Not clear.

Upgrade to iPad BB means update to 6.15.00?

Only the "Quick Reply" is working today.

I'm throwing in the towel on this unlocking idea. After going back and forth with every conceivable piece of information about the phone, I'm left with enough holes in what I need to go further. Some of the unanswered questions that stopped me in my tracks:

"Would some kind soul take pity and point me to the ALL TIME BEST, easy, really works instructions to, I assume, jailbreak (you have to?) and then unlock the iPhone 3GS?

If I ever get the iPhone unlocked, will I be able to get it back to the state it was in before the jailbreak/unlock?

Still hoping to find the definitive guide to unlock the iPhone 3GS.

There are many videos on unlocking and jailbreaking the iPhone 3GS but each one offers a different approach to do it.

Is there a "Best" instructional video to unlock the iPhone 3GS, firmware 05.15.05 - Serial number: 82 046 xxx, IOS version 5.0.1 using Redsn0w?"

For the folks that offered help.....Thank You.

jimt29 said:
Only the "Quick Reply" is working today.

I'm throwing in the towel on this unlocking idea. After going back and forth with every conceivable piece of information about the phone, I'm left with enough holes in what I need to go further. Some of the unanswered questions that stopped me in my tracks:

"Would some kind soul take pity and point me to the ALL TIME BEST, easy, really works instructions to, I assume, jailbreak (you have to?) and then unlock the iPhone 3GS?

If I ever get the iPhone unlocked, will I be able to get it back to the state it was in before the jailbreak/unlock?

Still hoping to find the definitive guide to unlock the iPhone 3GS.

There are many videos on unlocking and jailbreaking the iPhone 3GS but each one offers a different approach to do it.

Is there a "Best" instructional video to unlock the iPhone 3GS, firmware 05.15.05 - Serial number: 82 046 xxx, IOS version 5.0.1 using Redsn0w?"

For the folks that offered help.....Thank You.

That baseband cannot be unlocked mate. It is that simple.

You will not find an answer. It does not exist yet. You have an iPod for now.

Unless you flash the iPad baseband to your device.

I would really stop looking for an unlock for that BB. Not gonna happen mate. Sorry. It jut does not exist.

What you need to be searching for in that google page is: "how to flash iPad baseband to iPhone 3GS"

That is what you need to find out.

jimt29 said:
If you notice f0rcast says Jailbreakable?: NO

Does that mean OLD BOOTROM? Not clear.

Upgrade to iPad BB means update to 6.15.00?

And f0recast is ONLY gods for checking baseband. Almost alway gets everything wrong.

I got the AT&T email stating it was OK to Restore and Unlock the phone.

I ran Restore and when asked, I inserted the T-Mobile sim card and while it is still syncing it does show that T-Mobile is the service provider.

It's copying the install apps as I type this but so far all looks good. The lock screen even shows 1 new voicemail.

Now I'm not sure if I want to bother jailbreaking it or not.

jimt29 said:
I got the AT&T email stating it was OK to Restore and Unlock the phone.

I ran Restore and when asked, I inserted the T-Mobile sim card and while it is still syncing it does show that T-Mobile is the service provider.

It's copying the install apps as I type this but so far all looks good. The lock screen even shows 1 new voicemail.

Now I'm not sure if I want to bother jailbreaking it or not.

If the phone is unlocked via your provider than your worries are over, and jailbreaking will have no effect on your unlock in any way. Actually it wouldn't even of you unlocked it yourself. . All it does is install Cydia.