What's new

Got The iPhone 3GS Today - Need Help To UNLOCK It

jimt29

Reaction score
I did a search "Unlock 3GS" and got sensory overload with threads that don't apply, apply to a different phone or I don't know what.

Would some kind soul take pity and point me to the ALL TIME BEST, easy, really works instructions to, I assume, jailbreak (you have to?) and then unlock the iPhone 3GS?

Please help :>(

Just a couple questions to start off with... go to Settings>General>About. Then let us know what's next to "Version" & "Modem Firmware." This will help us in determining if your 3GS is Unlockable.

Modem Firmware: 05.16.15

Serial Number: 82 046 4JEEDG ( I added the spaces for clarity)

OS Version: 5.0.01 ( Although I keep getting reminders to upgrade to 5.1) Would be good?

jimt29 said:
Modem Firmware: 05.16.15

Serial Number: 82 046 4JEEDG ( I added the spaces for clarity)

OS Version: 5.0.01 ( Although I keep getting reminders to upgrade to 5.1) Would be good?

No. Don't do that. You will lose your unlock.

You can never update your iPhone without using custom IPSW.

Doing it another way would update your baseband causing you to lose your unlock.

Last edited:
Still haven't unlocked. I've found video instructions that appear comprehensive to jailbreak but to add unlock to the mix it gets confusing.

The instructions say to download IOS 5.0.1 stock firmware but it appears the iPhone already has that installed. Are you supposed to do it anyway?

I have Redsn0w 0.9.10b1
I have iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw - file size 701350 kb (Doesn't this upgrade to IOS 5.0.1 which is where the phone is already?)

Still looking for a solution where I won't brick the iPhone 3GS.

Adding to this mix, another question.

After jailbreaking are there features that cease to work or features that are removed?

Can IOS 5.1 be jailbroken/unlocked as yet?

jimt29 said:
Adding to this mix, another question.

After jailbreaking are there features that cease to work or features that are removed?

Can IOS 5.1 be jailbroken/unlocked as yet?

Nothing is disables after a jailbreak. Everything works fine. It does not remove anything. All it does in lamens terms is install the application Cydia.

However there are a couple caveats:

1) OTA updates will not install

2) cannot restore in iTunes without entering DFU mode.

That is pretty much the only 2 things that jailbreaking in itself causes.

If I ever get the iPhone unlocked, will I be able to get it back to the state it was in before the jailbreak/unlock?

Still hoping to find the definitive guide to unlock the iPhone 3GS.

"The instructions say to download IOS 5.0.1 stock firmware but it appears the iPhone already has that installed. Are you supposed to do it anyway?

I have Redsn0w 0.9.10b1
I have iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw - file size 701350 kb (Doesn't this upgrade to IOS 5.0.1 which is where the phone is already?)

Still looking for a solution where I won't brick the iPhone 3GS."

jimt29 said:
If I ever get the iPhone unlocked, will I be able to get it back to the state it was in before the jailbreak/unlock?

Still hoping to find the definitive guide to unlock the iPhone 3GS.

"The instructions say to download IOS 5.0.1 stock firmware but it appears the iPhone already has that installed. Are you supposed to do it anyway?

I have Redsn0w 0.9.10b1

Still looking for a solution where I won't brick the iPhone 3GS."

Its not about unlocking the 3Gs, it's about unlocking the baseband. The phone model has nothing to do with it.

You say you are on 5.0.1, but how did you get to 5.0.1 (and yes, if a guide tells you to download the 5.0.1 IPSW, then you should. It does not matter of your alread on 5.0.1).

But how did you get to 5.0.1? Did he phone come with 5.0.1?

Did you update to 5.0.1 in iTunes, or OTA?

zig9449 said:
Its not about unlocking the 3Gs, it's about unlocking the baseband. The phone model has nothing to do with it.

You say you are on 5.0.1, but how did you get to 5.0.1 (and yes, if a guide tells you to download the 5.0.1 IPSW, then you should. It does not matter of your alread on 5.0.1).

But how did you get to 5.0.1? Did he phone come with 5.0.1?

Did you update to 5.0.1 in iTunes, or OTA?

Download "f0recast" and let it tell you if you can unlock and jailbreak

Semel said:
Download "f0recast" and let it tell you if you can unlock and jailbreak

Oh yeah...forgot a out f0recast.lol.

Ran f0rcast: Serial number: same - Baseband: same
Bootloader: 6.4_M3S2
Model: MC555
Jailbreakable?: NO
Unlockable?: Upgrade to iPad BB

zig9449: "Its not about unlocking the 3Gs, it's about unlocking the baseband. The phone model has nothing to do with it.

You say you are on 5.0.1, but how did you get to 5.0.1 (and yes, if a guide tells you to download the 5.0.1 IPSW, then you should. It does not matter of you're already on 5.0.1).

But how did you get to 5.0.1? Did he phone come with 5.0.1? >>>> THE PHONE CAME WITH 5.0.1 <<<<<
Did you update to 5.0.1 in iTunes, or OTA? >>>>>NO<<<<<<

Last edited: