What's new

Got my Apple TV

ardchoille

Reaction score
I just bought an Apple TV. I have no idea how to use it but, knowing Apple, I'm sure it'll b easy to set up. I mostly want it for AirPlay mirroring from my iPhone 4S.

Last edited:
oh nice,tell us all about when you work things out.

Connections: HDMI, micro USB, ethernet, WiFi
I am connected to wifi at home and the Apple TV interface is fast and smooth, no lag despite being connected to only a 720p TV.

Two Apple decals are included :)

Setup took 2 minutes and was crazy easy. Typical Apple device - sign in using an Apple ID and everything was ready to go. I'm the type of person that heads into the settings app first-thing, so that's what I did.. luckily there is a Settings icon in the first row of icons. The included remote control is made of the same brushed aluminum as the Macbooks and is easy to use.

After setting Apple TV up,, the icons are listed on the screen. There are 19 apps, including YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus and Vimeo. My small HDMI TV is only 720p but it doesn't lag and the Apple TV user interface is beautiful.

AirPlay mirroring was easy to set up - double-tap the home button on the iPhone, iPod or iPad, swipe twice to the right and an AirPlay icon appears to the right of the volume scroller. I pressed the AirPlay icon on the iPhone and the iPhone's screen immediately appeared on my TV. I wanted an iPad mini so I could browse the web on a larger screen but I don't need it now, Apple TV took care of it. Score! :) Everything that you do on the iPhone can be done on Apple TV, of course since it's mirroring the iPhone screen. Browsing the web is fast and smooth.

There is an app in the App Store called Remote that can be used on the iPhone to control the Apple TV - very nice touch. The Remote app requires some type of ID/password that needs to be set up from iTunes (home sharing), but it really isn't needed since a physical remote control is included with the Apple TV.

I don't have a PC so I don't have the full iTunes app on a desktop computer but it seems it isn't needed.

An instruction manual is included but I haven't had to open it yet.

While I was in Best Buy I met an Apple employee (genius?), he was there showing off the iPad mini. He said I could buy an Apple bluetooth keyboard for my iPhone 4S and the whole setup would be close to having a desktop Mac (iPhone, Apple TV, television, bt keyboard, network connection). However, I found out, the Magic Mouse doesnt work with the iPhone 4S.

Despite my being an impatient and picky old man, and knowing nothing about the Apple TV, I am thoroughly impressed. This device is indicative of the beauty and ease of use that I have come to know and love from Apple. This device is definitely a keeper :)

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot, the Apple TV has a screen saver. Several from which to choose or you can use your photo stream pics :)

Last edited:
wow,that sounds really nice,something to keep on mind when i'm ready for a new tv.

I just found something on Apple TV. If you hold down the center button on the physical remote, the icons go into wiggle mode and you can use the arrow buttons to move them around.

I'm loving this device!

I just found something on Apple TV. If you hold down the center button on the physical remote, the icons go into wiggle mode and you can use the arrow buttons to move them around.

I'm loving this device!
i bet you will be playing with that for some time to come lol.

Poisonivy said:
i bet you will be playing with that for some time to come lol.

You better believe it! And, I got the Remote app working, just needed to enable Home Sharing in iTunes and on the Apple TV. Now I can control the TV from my iPhone, menus and all.

ardchoille said:
You better believe it! And, I got the Remote app working, just needed to enable Home Sharing in iTunes and on the Apple TV. Now I can control the TV from my iPhone, menus and all.

The remote app is good because it gives you far more control that the included remote does, especially when entering text.

The Archangel

Ohhhhh i should stop reading this thread..........its sounding soooo good.

Poisonivy said:
Ohhhhh i should stop reading this thread..........its sounding soooo good.

Go on, you know you want to!!!

The Archangel

i dooooo......no i must resist.
to quote from my favorite series, "Resistance is futile" :)

The remote app is good because it gives you far more control that the included remote does, especially when entering text.

The Archangel
OMG! It does! I didn't realize the Remote app could also be used for text entry.

Last edited: