What's new

google syncing question

KarlieJai

Reaction score
So my iphone has exchange blah blah all that, i know it works because when i edit a contact on gmail, it changes on my phone.

My question is, how can i set up my phone or gmail, so that when i add a NEW contact on my iphone, it would automatically save onto google contacts?
For example, if i added any new contact on my iphone and in the future if i stop using the iphone and switch to a droid. Those newly added contacts would not show up on my droid since they were never backed up onto google contacts...

You can't with the iPhones stock mail app. Maybe the gmail app lets you do that? I don't know I don't use it lol the stock app works fine for me. If you need to switch phones, I don't think it would be much of a hassle to take 30 seconds and manually export them, it woul be a one time thing lol

Can't iTunes sync with google and outlook? I think so...
I think my google contacts get synced when I do a tethered snc with iTunes... Set it up thru GoogleSync.
I could be wrong but if you can't sync both ways it's completely useless..

We use Exchange in my Agency and just last night I added a new contact (for testing purposes) on my IPhone and sure enough, it's here in my gmail contacts at my desktop... You may need to "push" the gmail on your phone, meaning shut it off then reopen it... But it did it for me...

Go into Groups and select Exchange contacts and your new contact will be updated to gmail.

We use Exchange in my Agency and just last night I added a new contact (for testing purposes) on my IPhone and sure enough, it's here in my gmail contacts at my desktop... You may need to "push" the gmail on your phone, meaning shut it off then reopen it... But it did it for me...

The answer probably lies in the above comment. I also have Gmail and Contacts on the iPhone. I can always get the synch to work by diddling with the Exchange option. Of course, this should be spelled out more clearly in the iPhone manual.

so i go into groups in gmail and select exchange contacts?

yes.....as long as you are not using iCloud contacts, but using Exchange contacts, it will sync with your google account, given that you used a google account when you set up Exchange. I came from an Android phone and all my info was in google. I have no problem keeping my contacts,calenders and mail in google and syncing them to my iphone.

Last edited: