What's new

Google Maps

Moparherb

Reaction score
i have recently started to use my iPhone XS Max as a GPS because I have a couple of health issues that take me to doctors that I usually don’t go to. If I use Google Maps instead of the iOS maps I cannot get the volume to be loud enough to be heard reliably. I have the volume turned up to louder in the app and the volume on my phone is at max. Seems a lot of people are having or have had this issue, but I can’t seem to get a good answer and anything I have tried has not helped. This issue makes Google Maps totally worthless to me. So I guess until a fix is discovered I will continue to use the maps app that comes with the phone. Any suggestions or advise is appreciated.

Are you using Google maps in your car?, and are you getting the sound through your cars infotainment system (radio) via Bluetooth?
The reason I ask is that I had the same problem, and I found that by adjusting the announcement volume using the car’s volume control DURING the announcement it set it at a higher level.
Might be worth a try assuming that is the way you are using it.

I am using the app in the car on my way to the doctors, but y vehicle is a few years older and does not have Bluetooth compatibility. So I’m just getting the volume through the iPhone.

That’s a pity, so I don’t have any other suggestions I’m afraid. I hope someone else can come up with the answer.

Have you tried playing the sound through the cars audio system, just like when you're listening to music from your iPhone?

scifan57...I have to admit to never listening to music from my iPhone in the car. It’s usually a favorite radio station. But my vehicle is a 2008 model and the radio does have an input jack for playing music. But it’s the old round headphone style jack and I would not know how to hook that up to my phone. This really isn’t a major issue as whenever I need a map that does talk loud enough I can always use the one supplied by Apple. But thank you for your input.

Portable bluetooth earphones or earbuds would certainly work as long as your iphone has bluetooth capability. I've never tried them using google map thru my iphone but they might work. You could just wear one side if you're driving for better safety.

scifan57...I have to admit to never listening to music from my iPhone in the car. It’s usually a favorite radio station. But my vehicle is a 2008 model and the radio does have an input jack for playing music. But it’s the old round headphone style jack and I would not know how to hook that up to my phone. This really isn’t a major issue as whenever I need a map that does talk loud enough I can always use the one supplied by Apple. But thank you for your input.
I believe you could use a dongle to hook the input jack to your iPhone.

Well to continue this story.....I was discussing this issue with my daughter who uses Google maps all the time in her medical travels. She said “dad, reboot your iPhone XS Max”. As soon as I did that I could adjust the volume as loud as I wanted in Google maps using the volume control on my phone. So I guess an old guy just needed a young whipper snapper to set me straight. Thanks for all the suggestions.