Google Launches Standalone Hangouts App

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Google made lots of announcements at its Google I/O developers’ conference yesterday, including launching a new standalone version of its Hangouts app for iOS. According to AppleInsider, the new app has been designed by Google to integrate Google Talk, Google+ Messenger, and the original Hangout video chat feature. As AppleInsider notes, this revamp represents a move by Google to more effectively organise its diverse chat and comms services, in order to compete with the likes of Facebook, and the incredibly popular iOS app, WhatsApp. The reason WhatsApp is so popular is because it enables you to very easily chat amongst a group of people and add all sorts of media to the chat to make it really fun. The integrated app also acts as Google’s answer to popular Apple services such as FaceTime and iMessage, although unlike FaceTime and iMessage (but just like WhatsApp), Hangouts will be usable across all platforms, which could give it a distinct advantage over the Apple services. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Click here to download the free app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hangouts/id643496868?mt=8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] Revamped, cross-platform Google Hangouts app competes with Apple's iMessages, FaceTime

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I always thought that Hangouts was just their group video chat app so I wasn't that interested.

I've really been wanting a better GChat app since I switched from Android.

Administrative Notice:​ This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules No External Links

Been using it for about a week or two now and so far it's pretty nice. We use it for conferences at work as well,seeing if it trumps Skype and so far no problems. Considering how everything revolves around Google nowadays, it's nice to have a slightly better standalone messenger