What's new

Goodbye iPhone 4s

Well, read the first part of my reply...e-mail them and they will tell you!

Edited

Last edited by a moderator:
Iphones4s with full retail price can be unlock to any gsm carrier in the world.IT'S A FACT.This information CAN BE PROVED BY APPLE

Last edited:
iPhone 4S (GSM AT&T) can be bought unlocked at USA Apple stores since Nov 2011. My friend and myself bought 3 during Black Friday.

You can also order them online I believe

Wildfire said:
I finally received my AT&T 4s yesterday evening. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. But then came the big disappointment. The map showing coverage made me believe that I should have good voice and 3G Data available.The curse of living away from the city. And since there is no wifi either, I'm one disappointed ex 4s owner. Mailed it back today. The AT&T lady felt my pain and said maybe in a year or so they might have a tower in the area. I guess I have to continue using my Virgin mobile "broadband" modem (1 bar) and my Tracfone to stay in touch with the rest of the world. You guys don't know how lucky you are having access to modern technology. Now if we would just spend some of the money we blew in Iraq and Afghanistan on getting broadband to rural America... Fat chance!

Check out Wilson Electronics, they have several signal boosters for your home and car and they work with any cell phone provider.
This might be a solution for you.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iPF.net

Well I'm back to report on my experience returning an iPhone 4 S to AT&T

I received the 4S on 1-9 returned it on 1-10 after I didn't get an adequate signal. Called AT&T to cancel subscription. They said since I had already mailed it back, postal stamp would be confirmation. 1-13 Received e-mail from AT&T that they had received 4S and would get it processed withing a week.
After numerous calls to them, I got another e-mail. It was an ALERT about my bill being overdue.
More calls, but always with very friendly CS reps who investigated the problem.
During my final call with an AT&T rep I was asked to fax a copy of my Visa statement showing the AT&T charge for the 4S. Since I have paperless billing I just d/l the page with the info, blackened out all other charges and since the page only showed the last 4 digits of my card, I added the whole string put all info about the phone and dates of return etc. sent the fax and hoped for the best. 2 days later my Visa acct showed the credit.

Well, to make a long story short, it took about 6 weeks to get the full refund minus a $35 restocking fee and the return postage since I used their prepaid return label.

My advice, keep records of your calls and what was said and know the return policy so that you won't be stuck with Activation fees, etc. for service you didn't use.
Overall, I must give AT&T at least a B grade for their friendly CS reps who did speak English I could understand and were willing to look into the matter. AT&T must have thousands of calls every day. I never waited more than a few minutes to get a live person on the phone.
So now I'm going to buy an iPad 3 and then wait for the iPhone 5 to find a provider with a strong enough signal at home or install a repeater for a few hundred bucks (least likely choice)

Last edited:
If you want to test Verizon in your area, you could buy a prepaid Straight Talk phone that runs on Verizon's network. You can buy an LG 100C from Wal-Mart for $19.88 and activate it for one month for $30.

You know I did something similar before going with AT&T I bought a Go-phone and had it for a month. I had always at least 3 bars and yet the iPhone 4s showed NO Service or 1 bar.

I probably try Verizon with a prepaid phone as you suggest when the iPhone 5 comes out. But based on my experience with AT&T a prepaid working is no guaranty that an iPhone will.

Maybe it's more a problem with the iPhone antenna than the signal itself?

If you want to test Verizon in your area, you could buy a prepaid Straight Talk phone that runs on Verizon's network. You can buy an LG 100C from Wal-Mart for $19.88 and activate it for one month for $30.

Happens the same in Australia. Because it is so vast and only 90% of the population lives in 10% of the country. My in laws live 1 hour out of Sydney and I get no phone coverage at all..

Hopefully there will be a way to get coverage to everyone at a later date.....

You guys need to read up on AT&T Microcell. I'm sure Verizon and Sprint have similar services to battle poor coverage in their home.

Wildfire said:
Well I'm back to report on my experience returning an iPhone 4 S to AT&T

I received the 4S on 1-9 returned it on 1-10 after I didn't get an adequate signal. Called AT&T to cancel subscription. They said since I had already mailed it back, postal stamp would be confirmation. 1-13 Received e-mail from AT&T that they had received 4S and would get it processed withing a week.
After numerous calls to them, I got another e-mail. It was an ALERT about my bill being overdue.
More calls, but always with very friendly CS reps who investigated the problem.
During my final call with an AT&T rep I was asked to fax a copy of my Visa statement showing the AT&T charge for the 4S. Since I have paperless billing I just d/l the page with the info, blackened out all other charges and since the page only showed the last 4 digits of my card, I added the whole string put all info about the phone and dates of return etc. sent the fax and hoped for the best. 2 days later my Visa acct showed the credit.

Well, to make a long story short, it took about 6 weeks to get the full refund minus a $35 restocking fee and the return postage since I used their prepaid return label.

My advice, keep records of your calls and what was said and know the return policy so that you won't be stuck with Activation fees, etc. for service you didn't use.
Overall, I must give AT&T at least a B grade for their friendly CS reps who did speak English I could understand and were willing to look into the matter. AT&T must have thousands of calls every day. I never waited more than a few minutes to get a live person on the phone.
So now I'm going to buy an iPad 3 and then wait for the iPhone 5 to find a provider with a strong enough signal at home or install a repeater for a few hundred bucks (least likely choice)

Is I wrote before in other forums. I purchased a Sprint iPhone 4s. I only can use on WIFI because of an known issue with the ESN.

Anyway if I did have Sprint my signal would be like the first bar being ok and the others being like barely visible.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1