What's new

Gevy SIM unlocked iphone 4

Fasih

Reaction score
Sooo, well first of all hi guys :) New here, actually new to the whole apple craze, lemme confess I have been a devoted Android user but for some reason considering buying an iphone 4 and in desperate need of some suggestions, and unlike android literally nobody messes with there iphone software so nobody IRL is being any help :/

Moving on, I am getting this utterly cheap iPhone 4 here in Pakistan, but I am confused if i should get it or not, here are a couple of questions. First of all though, it's running with Gevy Sim, and I wont get it factory unlocked... costs too much. Also it does not have jailbreak (yet), I plan on doing it though.

1. With ios 7 only a week away, will gevy sim still work on it? or will i need to buy a new Gevy sim for the new os?
2. Do I have to update to IOS 7? Cant I use the old OS? Cant I use market apps on old OS? Can I install apps via cydia once I jailbreak? Whats the disadvantage of using an old OS?
3. I have read quiet a lot about jailbreaking and software unlock on a specific baseband for iPhone 4, and upgrading to new IOS without upgrading the baseband, is it really as simple as it sounds? :p I mean how great is the chance of bricking the phone? What if I lose electricity between the process?

Umm, thats about all (for now (i think)). Will get back with more queries when it comes to me. Oh yes I am not sure about the current baseband of the iPhone in question, will check it later. Is Gevy sim even baseband specific?

1) Maybe, maybe not. It depends on whether or not the "developers" decide to upgrade the software portion behind it. They might have a few SIM if anything. The R-SIM has had basically a new interposer every other iOS releease. The Gevey might have one of its own for iOS 7 since it is a fairly large upgrade.

2) No you don't. Apple does not force its users to upgrade to a new OS. The only time they would force you to upgrade is if your device is old and is unable to run the apps because of hardware issues as well as software issues that are not available on the device in question. If there's a jailbreak released, then yes, you can jailbreak the device and get Cydia on it. But again, it's all down to whether a jailbreak is available, and whether or not the tweak is compatible with your device, iOS or the combination of both. The only disadvantage of running an old iOS (generally just comparing iOS 7 and its predecessors) is that there's added core functionalities in iOS 7 that's not available on iOS 6. For some users, it might not be a big deal, for some users, every detail counts. It's up to you whether or not you upgrade to a newer iOS. For the jailbreaking community, 95%+ of all jailbreak users will be still on iOS 6 to retain their jailbreak until an iOS 7 jailbreak is released

3) UltraSn0w is what you're referring to. UltraSn0w has not been updated in months. The last supporting iOS version of UltraSn0w is for iOS 6.1, meaning 6.1.2, 6.1.3 were not supported. It's said that UltraSn0w will not be seeing any upgrades anymore as IMEI/carrier unlocks are much more efficient particularly now when untethered jailbreaks are hard to come by. Plus, the 3GS (the sole device that most users use UltraSn0w with) has been halted at iOS 6.1.3, though most users are already on 6.0 - 6.1 if they rely on UltraSn0w. But all in all, preserving your baseband is simple. You can easily do it with RedSn0w. But the question is whether or not it's necessary or whether or not the baseband will even be supported by the software portion of unlocks such as the Gevey/R-SIM, etc.

Software unlocking does not or should not affect your functionality such as battery life. Most interposers have low battery consumption so you shouldn't be seeing any battery life discrepancies. If you're doing it right, meaning you're not pulling the cable in between the processes, you can't brick your device.

I'm not entirely sure about the iPhone 4 line for interposers, but for the 4S and 5, it's now solely iOS dependent and not so much baseband dependent. There was a baseband dependency before where it had to be 04.11.08 or below to use a Gevey, but I think the R-SIM bypassed that restriction.

Thanks :) I'll get back later tonight with this iphone's baseband version and ios version, if its the old 1.59.00 then I guess I can go ahead with ultrasn0w, and yes I was talking about that, and the phone has facetime option in settings which i guess means its some version of ios-6. But if I can download appstore apps even after ios 7 is out and i am on ios 6, then i dont think its an issue, I dont mind missing out on a couple new features when it costs quiet a lot to get the factory unlock. Plus I guess this means I can always keep factory unlock as an option for a future date.

IMEI/carrier unlocks depends primarily on the carrier itself. In most cases, the service would range anywhere from $5 USD to $50 USD, which pretty much covers almost all GSM carriers. CDMA carriers were and still are the most expensive to unlock via IMEI service.

If your baseband is 01.59.00, and the device is on iOS 6.1 or lower, or if it's on 6.1.2/6.1.3 and you have iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, or 6.1 blobs saved, you can downgrade and still take advantage of UltraSn0w. You'd need to also install the UltraSn0w Fixer as well for it to work, which should be in the same repository as UltraSn0w. The default repository I believe has been deleted, so you'd have to look for other repositories to add in order to get it. If you can't find it, I believe I have a copy of the packages saved somewhere, and I'll be able to upload it to a throwaway repo for you to download.