What's new

Getting pictures from iPhone to computer Without iTunes?

Rocko

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to get pix off the phone onto a computer than doesn't have iTunes installed on it? (at a friends house or whatever?)Thanks.

Is there an easy way to get pix off the phone onto a computer than doesn't have iTunes installed on it? (at a friends house or whatever?)Thanks.

Easy: My Computer>iPhone icon>internal storage>DCIM, open your folder, just right click and copy any photos you want and paste on your desktop or any folder.

Easy: My Computer>iPhone icon>internal storage>DCIM, open your folder, just right click and copy any photos you want and paste on your desktop or any folder.

I have done this myself but can you or someone else explain why many of my pics and all of my vids import upside down? It's easy to flip rather pics but I have no clue how to flip the videos. Btw, it doesn't matter how the phone is oriented while shooting the pics or vids, they still import upside down.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Ahh thanks.

As for the pictures being upside down I think you need to switch the way you hold the phone while taking videos(try it both ways). I know pics can be flipped easily, but video requires an editing program I believe.

can you or someone else explain why many of my pics and all of my vids import upside down? It's easy to flip rather pics but I have no clue how to flip the videos. Btw, it doesn't matter how the phone is oriented while shooting the pics or vids, they still import upside down.

What program are you using to view the pictures on your PC? iPhone uses EXIF data to remember the orientation of the picture. Many older photo management software (including Windows default viewer!) do not interpret EXIF data correctly. You may need to update your photo management software.

What program are you using to view the pictures on your PC? iPhone uses EXIF data to remember the orientation of the picture. Many older photo management software (including Windows default viewer!) do not interpret EXIF data correctly. You may need to update your photo management software.

I use windows picture viewer to view all my media, not sure how old the software is, it's native to my PC which is only a couple months old running windows 7. Also it makes no difference how the phone is oriented while shooting the vids, they still come in upside down.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

That is odd. It should play right side up when you make sure you hold the iphone with the record button on the right in landscape mode.

That is odd. It should play right side up when you make sure you hold the iphone with the record button on the right in landscape mode.

Thats seems to be the way to do it - record videos / take pictures in landscape BUT make sure the "Home" button is on the right. Otherwise, I found when you emailed them they would be upside down.

Here are links to four short MOV files showing the four orientations for the iPhone 4S. I had to upload them to DropBox for you as all of my available Cloud based mail programs choked on saving or sending these little video files.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0061.MOV
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0062.MOV
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0063.MOV
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7584570/IMG_0064.MOV
I usually record hockey games in Landscape mode with the Home Button of the iPhone on the left side with the screen facing me. That is the mov file IMG_0063.MOV
Apple's QuickTime Player displays it correctly, while the VLC player, which ignores exif flags plays it upside down. So does the Plex Media streamer ignore the flag, so does the thunderbird mail app ignore the flag, and so on. Adobe looks at the exif flags so they get it right.
My movies are of four Post It Notes, each one describing the location of the Home Button. Take a series of four pictures oriented like my test MOV files , then take 4 short MOV files of the same iPhone orientation. If the results are "misoriented" then the software you are using to look at them is ignoring the orientation flages.
For more detail of this subject look at* ImpulseAdventure - JPEG / Exif Orientation and Rotation
JPEG Rotation and EXIF Orientation
Digital Cameras with orientation sensors allow auto-rotation of portrait images. Unfortunately, support for this feature is not widespread or consistently applied.
Digital Cameras with Orientation Sensors
Many newer digital cameras (both dSLR and Point & Shoot digicams) have a built-in orientation sensor. Virtually all Canon and Nikon digital cameras have an orientation sensor. The output of this sensor is used to set the EXIF orientation flag in the image file's metatdata to reflect the positioning of the camera with respect to the ground. Canon calls their sensor the "Intelligent Orientation" sensor. It is presumably a 2-axis tilt sensor, allowing 4 possible orientations to be detected (shown in the left side of the diagram in the link above).