What's new

Getting a new iphone ...apps

Nods - and the iTunes v 10.5 / iCloud combo works well. I upgraded my iTunes on my laptop, d/l all my apps/music from the Cloud with no issues. Next I'll upgrade my desktop to 10.5 in anticipation of receiving my 4S (soon I hope :<).

It was kind of funny - I'm visiting my mom and have both my 3G and laptop on her WiFi network. I noticed when I grabbed a new app, it immediately started d/l it onto iTunes as well!! Cool!

Good question, OP.

Am I to understand that the iPhone does not save and transfer your apps, contacts, calendar... from one iPhone to another automatically, like the Android/Google phones do? What about with this new (to Apple) wireless updating that I just read about yesterday?

Good question, OP.

Am I to understand that the iPhone does not save and transfer your apps, contacts, calendar... from one iPhone to another automatically, like the Android/Google phones do? What about with this new (to Apple) wireless updating that I just read about yesterday?

Of course it does. Where do you think Google got the idea from? Apple iTunes does all of it automatically. Google then improved on the idea and made it work OTA. Apple's iCloud goes even further and saves all data, including all app data. Android was still not doing that when I left it in April.

Of course it does. Where do you think Google got the idea from? Apple iTunes does all of it automatically. Google then improved on the idea and made it work OTA. Apple's iCloud goes even further and saves all data, including all app data. Android was still not doing that when I left it in April.

I must have misinterpreted when you said this:

Apple is way ahead of you :)

Backup your current phone with iTunes. Restore that backup to you new phone. Done.

And you can ALWAYS redownload purchased apps for free.

I have never backed up or restored anything on my Droid. It was all done automatically. When I got a new phone all I had to do was activate it and my apps got downloaded from Google automatically. I read your post literally, meaning that I would have to backup to iTunes periodically and that I would have to restore from iTunes.

I have never backed up or restored anything on my Droid. It was all done automatically. When I got a new phone all I had to do was activate it and my apps got downloaded from Google automatically. I read your post literally, meaning that I would have to backup to iTunes periodically and that I would have to restore from iTunes.

Lets address two major points.

1) Only iOS 4 and lower needs to do one more "Wired backup to iTunes" before doing a restore to iOS 5 and never require that situation again.

2) Android DOES NOT back up everything when you do a restore. Android restores the following OTA: Settings, Contacts, Calendars, Markers for which apps were installed and some auxiliary support data.

Apple backs up EVERYTHING. Including your SMS, MMS, Photos and ALL application data. Android doesn't even come close to this. You have to move your Micro SD card to get Photos and SOME application data to your new phone. You have to use a backup program to get SMS, MMS, any "on board" Photos and application data.

I spent 13 months on Android. I know all of its dirty little secrets that the fanboys love to overstate.

Lets address two major points.

1) Only iOS 4 and lower needs to do one more "Wired backup to iTunes" before doing a restore to iOS 5 and never require that situation again.
iOS 5 is the update just released a few days ago? I was pretty much on target then. The phone I will be getting today does wireless backups because it will have iOS 5. If I had gotten an iPhone a few months ago I would have to tether it to my computer to backup from iTunes. At least that is how I am reading things. Never having had an iPhone before, I do not know for certain if they did wireless backup/restores prior to iOS 5. I thought I read that this was new to iPhones, the wireless updating. And if you couldn't even receive an update over the airwaves prior to iOS 5, I am guessing you had to tether it to your computer and open up iTunes. to do so.
2) Android DOES NOT back up everything when you do a restore. Android restores the following OTA: Settings, Contacts, Calendars, Markers for which apps were installed and some auxiliary support data.

Apple backs up EVERYTHING. Including your SMS, MMS, Photos and ALL application data. Android doesn't even come close to this. You have to move your Micro SD card to get Photos and SOME application data to your new phone. You have to use a backup program to get SMS, MMS, any "on board" Photos and application data.
Yes, contacts, apps, calendars... those were the items I mentioned. By everything I meant everything I had mentioned, or at least was important to me.
After transferring the sd card and activating the new phone it was pretty much exactly as my replaced phone. Right down to the wall paper. No USB cable needed. I do recall some members on the Droid forum having problems with their contacts not being transferred. The Droid was certainly a glitchy phone.

I spent 13 months on Android. I know all of its dirty little secrets that the fanboys love to overstate.

lol, yes there are certainly some real diehard fans of that sytem/phone. I don't get it. I've been looking to get out of my Droid for close to a year. It is the longest I've ever had the same phone though.

And am I to understand that Iphones back up your pictures??? Is that what you said? To where, iTunes? Can that be turned off? I certainly don't need every picture I take being downloaded to a new phone and I'm not even sure I like that they are being back up remotely.

lol, yes there are certainly some real diehard fans of that sytem/phone. I don't get it. I've been looking to get out of my Droid for close to a year. It is the longest I've ever had the same phone though.

And am I to understand that Iphones back up your pictures??? Is that what you said? To where, iTunes? Can that be turned off? I certainly don't need every picture I take being downloaded to a new phone and I'm not even sure I like that they are being back up remotely.

Yes, you understand correctly. iTunes and iCloud can both back up your pictures. I believe the answer is yes, but I have never tested that fully since I always want a FULL backup just in case I have to replace my phone at a moments notice.

{Pause while I look at iOS5}

The good news is after looking over the settings screens, I believe you can setup the backup as you see fit.

BTW, one day Android will finally catch up with iOS when it comes to backing up the phone. But I doubt ICS has it ;) so Android will have to wait awhile longer.

Yes, you understand correctly. iTunes and iCloud can both back up your pictures. I believe the answer is yes, but I have never tested that fully since I always want a FULL backup just in case I have to replace my phone at a moments notice.

{Pause while I look at iOS5}

The good news is after looking over the settings screens, I believe you can setup the backup as you see fit.

BTW, one day Android will finally catch up with iOS when it comes to backing up the phone. But I doubt ICS has it ;) so Android will have to wait awhile longer.

Counting the minutes until UPS pulls in here so I can refer to my phone :cool:

And if Androids need to catch up to anything, it's furnishing a stable platform! :D

Counting the minutes until UPS pulls in here so I can refer to my phone :cool:

And if Androids need to catch up to anything, it's furnishing a stable platform! :D

You should read some of my rants on Android that I have posted here. After working with 3 ROM developers and writing the book on overclocking Droids, I can seriously tear into the faults of Android. :)