What's new

Full screen picture ID completely sporatic--need help to save sanity...

liguy257

Reaction score
Long story short, I had a Droid1 since it came out and while I liked the phone in theory, in action it was a whole different story, and I ended up getting the iPhone for Verizon. Love the phone--thinner, quicker, doesn't have "computer problems" like the droid. Certain customization aspects are driving me nuts.

One thing I've looked forward to (and always hated that the Droid was missing) is full-screen picture caller ID. Unfortunately I'm finding what I thought would be a "no thought required" feature to be extremely annoying at this point.

It seems completely sporadic with how it works. Instead of being full screen, all I get is a thumbnail in the top right, with my general wallpaper as the background. This is happening now matter WHERE the picture comes from. But the once in a while it's randomly full screen.

I've tested this from my house line using:
*A picture I emailed to myself then saved to my "Photo Library". Works I'd say 2 out of 5 times.

*A picture I had taken with the phone saved to my Camera Roll. Mixed results.

*A picture I took when going into a contact, clicking edit photo, then clicking "Take Photo" from there. Still mixed results.

*A picture that was stored on my computer that I physically moved to the phone through iTunes. Mixed results.

There honestly has to be something I'm missing here because I can't get this to work right across the board no matter what method I'm using, and it's even more annoying that SOMETIMES it works and then it doesn't, using the exact same method. It can't be this difficult.

No one? Am I the only with these issues? I thought this was supposed to work pretty seemlessly...

All my photo contacts show up as small thumbnails when I receive their calls. I didn't even know you could get a full screen photo to show up. I'd love to have that.

for full screen it should be no problem if they are pictures you took with the phones camera, sometimes if the photos are synced from facebook they are small thumbnails, if your experiecing this, i found a fix, find the contact that its small for and click edit, then click the photo which should also say edit on it. then click edit photo from the list, that will now fill your screen, now select choose and it should now save it as a full screen picture

I've been doing research on this since I've read this is possible. I had read that particular option, but when I did it and tested it, it came over as the small thumbnail again.

I've been doing research on this since I've read this is possible. I had read that particular option, but when I did it and tested it, it came over as the small thumbnail again.

is this only happening with facebook sync pics or even when you test with a picture off your camera roll?

Pictures are in my photo library, that I moved from my PC to my phone.

i would test with a picture your actually have taken with the phones camera to see if that has anything to do with it

Like I mentioned in my OP, it doesn't matter what method I use, the outcome is the same. If I DO finally get the full screen to work on a contact, it only works once or twice, and then goes back to being a thumbnail again... Very frustrating! I almost want to call Apple and see why it's happening.

I've tested this from my house line using:
*A picture I emailed to myself then saved to my "Photo Library". Works I'd say 2 out of 5 times.

*A picture I had taken with the phone saved to my Camera Roll. Mixed results.

*A picture I took when going into a contact, clicking edit photo, then clicking "Take Photo" from there. Still mixed results.

*A picture that was stored on my computer that I physically moved to the phone through iTunes. Mixed results.

anyone else come across this issue? I had done a factory restore on my phone over the summer for other reasons and though it would fix this random issue too but no dice. IT's not a huge deal but it irks me at this point that it seems to work fine for everyone else I know (and everytime I see it on TV) but no matter what I do I can't get it to work more than once or twice before it reverts back to a thumbnail.

The fact that it WILL work once or twice is what weirds me out even more, so it's not like it just won't work or there's something wrong with the particular image.