What's new

Finding iPhone 6 with Find My iPhone when the name changed on iCloud

dgm

Reaction score
My son had his iPhone 6 stolen and it was registered on Find My iPhone. Within a day or so of the theft, my son put the phone in "lost mode" on the iCloud. About 10 days after it was stolen, while we were periodically monitoring iCloud to see if it ever got turned-on, my son changed his login name & password on iCloud. So now he has two devices (iPhone 6 & iPad) with the old name on them, with the corresponding passwords, and his iCloud account with a new name & a new password.

To add perspective on my question, even though his iPad had the old name & old password, it was located on his iCloud Find My iPhone map that had the new account name & new password. His iCloud would indicate when the iPad was turned on or off. What I'd like to find out is, since there appears to still be a linkage between his iCloud account and his iPad, would it follow that there would continue to be a linkage with his iPhone 6 (old name/old password) and his iCloud account. If the linkage continues, we would continue to monitor his iCloud in case the phone gets turned on; if not, we will of course just have to move on. Thanks very much for any help with this!

The iPhone should still show up if it's ever turned on and connected to the Internet. If that ever happens, make sure to pass the information on to the police. In addition, have you reported the stolen iPhone to Apple, just in case it ever gets sent in for service?

Yes, we reported it to the police & filed a report. Plus Apple knows it is in "lost mode", so the phone is essentially a brick for anyone who has it. As far as I understand, the phone cannot be used by anyone.

In terms of the possibility of locating the phone and/or getting a "lost message w/ phone number" to anyone who ends up with it, I'd like to find out from someone who knows for sure about whether the iCloud/Find My iPhone will continue to track a phone if the login name has been changed on icloud while the stolen or lost device continues to hold the old login name. Anyone?

If you changed the iCloud ID on this website:
Apple - My Apple ID
and altered the email address and password, the ID is still the same, only the login details changed. That's why the iPad still appears in iCloud.

And having spent a lifetime working in a bureaucracy I can affirm the right hand should not be assumed to know what the left hand is doing. File a report of stolen iphone with Apple in addition to the icloud wipe.

J.A. & Bear-

Thanks for your information! Oddly enough, Apple's Tier 2 (Senior Advisor) does not know what you just told me. They said the exact opposite, that changing the email login name & password meant that the phone could never ever communicate with the iCloud/Find My iPhone. So in the meantime the tech person has been supposedly researching for confirmation of her viewpoint. It's been a week now, and I still have not heard back from her. Needless to say, I'm very frustrated with Apple's customer support.

I'll make sure we report the phone as stolen to Apple, but I want to ensure doing so doesn't interfere with the "find my iPhone" process. If I report it as stolen with Verizon, they put the phone on a blacklist such that the phone can't be used at all (which it really can't anyway since it's in "lost mode"). The downside of having Verizon do that is I can't have the cellular connection to the phone which I need in order to track it.

Will wiping the phone, if and when it gets turned on, have any adverse effects on us trying to track the phone? If not, we could do that as well.

I'm very appreciative of your help and this forum. I've tried to get the help you've already provided through Apple Cusomer Service & Apple Support Community with absolutely no luck at all. Thanks again very much!

After wiping your iPhone, you can't use Find my iPhone to locate it.

After wiping your iPhone, you can't use Find my iPhone to locate it.

J. A.-

Thanks for that info; so, we won't wipe it. I realize I probably have almost as good of a chance of getting hit by lightening as locating my son's phone, but I figure I may as well give it a try. Sometimes good things happen.... Thanks again J.A. .