What's new

Factory unlocked?

I called at&t and this is what they said, the phone you're trying to unlock must be out of contract. For example, if I upgrade to iPhone 5 then my 4s is off line then I can call them and they will unlock, still not bad.

I'm not sure what to tell you, it says on their website that they'll unlock it. Try doing it through AT&T chat: Unlock an AT&T iPhone From the Web with AT&T Technical Support

I
f they do indeed have an unwritten rule that says only off contract phones can be unlocked, just purchase a used iPhone.

Last edited:
HUNTER1 said:
I will try the chat and see. If not I have two options to get this unlocked. I get I5 then get this unlocked or just get it unlocked thru paid service.

Why not buy factory unlocked?

Prices of a factory unlocked device would be definitely more than getting it via upgrade.

Mr.Mischief said:
Factory unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB: $696

AT&T iPhone 4S 16GB: $199

Save $500 with a phone call? I know what I'd do.

Sent from my HTC One S

K...................

Factory unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB: $696

AT&T iPhone 4S 16GB: $199

Save $500 with a phone call? I know what I'd do.

Sent from my HTC One S

$696 your buying a factory unlocked iPhone which allows you to go with the network of your choice, and allows you to negotiate the best service plan you can afford...

for $199 you get an iPhone locked to a specific Service provider for 2 years, paying a high monthly plan...I don't live in the US but it's the same con everywhere... I bought my partner a factory unlocked iPhone direct from Apple, she pays a monthly phone bill of just under $12

But I'm realistic, I know the better deal is to buy the seemingly more expensive factory unlocked iPhone....but due to cash flow I end up going with the more expensive subsidised route...:p:eek:

But I'm realistic, I know the better deal is to buy the seemingly more expensive factory unlocked iPhone....but due to cash flow I end up going with the more expensive subsidised route...:p:eek:

Yeah.... It's pretty much like take the bitter pill once and it's all set.

$696 your buying a factory unlocked iPhone which allows you to go with the network of your choice, and allows you to negotiate the best service plan you can afford...

Once unlocked, the AT&T iPhone has the same capabilities.

for $199 you get an iPhone locked to a specific Service provider for 2 years, paying a high monthly plan...I don't live in the US but it's the same con everywhere... I bought my partner a factory unlocked iPhone direct from Apple, she pays a monthly phone bill of just under $12

I know I posted "4S", but I really meant the 4. The iPhone 4 is over 2 years old, many people are reaching the end of their contracts. Their $199 device can be unlocked free and used with one of the many other cheaper carriers. That sure beats buying a factory unlocked device.

I'm no stranger to prepaid, I've been using prepaid services for 2 years. I used T-Mobile and Straight Talk with my iPhone's.