What's new

Facetime Skype(update) Tango and fring

iph0ne27

Reaction score
My iphone 4 is completely stock 4.2.1. Skype was updated for video call 3G or Wifi. I have tested with my iPad and another person in the house with an iPhone 4.
Question #1 I recieved a Skype Video call while at the Grocery store(no wifi), was i charged for that skype video call to my email address?

Question #2 I later recieved a Skype Voice call while at the Mall, was I charged for a skype voice call to my email address?

Question #3 What ways am I charged either minutes (from my plan) or data or both while using a video call app?
I have only had my iphone 4 for 4 days.:facetime:

Last edited:
If your not on wifi then you will be charged for any data that is being used. The only exception is receiving an MMS.

Don't use skype so I don't know how the minutes would work. I would assume as long as your receiving the call then you won't use up your minutes. The person making the call would. I wouldn't use a service that charges me for receiving a call.

Tango is free on wifi but you will get charged for data when on 3G...

If your not on wifi then you will be charged for any data that is being used. The only exception is receiving an MMS.

Don't use skype so I don't know how the minutes would work. I would assume as long as your receiving the call then you won't use up your minutes. The person making the call would. I wouldn't use a service that charges me for receiving a call.

Tango is free on wifi but you will get charged for data when on 3G...

Unless you have a data allowance. Then it would use that first before charging you for data to be connected to the Internet to make it possible to receive those calls.

Echoeing, the Textnow app that I would normally use over wifi free, I am actually charged using the app over 3G? is it pulling from my text package or 200mb data?

Can someone clear this up a little for me please...

Skype VOIP audio calls use you data plan when not in a wifi area, seems same as windows mobile skype and android.

Skype video calls, Only works over wifi?
Does it also use phone mins as well as the wifi connection?
Is Skype credit being used also?
Is there another app that uses 3G to make/receive video calls?

Skype calls use your data when not on wifi. Skype video calls work over 3G and wifi. No phone mins are used. Skype to skype are always free. Skype calls to other lines use up your skype credit as it normally would on a PC. There are lots of other apps that let you text, call, video call over 3G...

what he said. If no wifi, it uses internet data, so if you have an unlimited internet you have nothing to worry about, if not like at&t allows up to 2gig, you will be able to use skype on a 3g until the 2gig of data run out.

Hi, I just joined & have 1 question about Skype on iPhone,
The voice quality over mobile data package is very low, cannot make video call, not even voice call thru mobile 3G connection, thru wifi it works with some disturbance, I have reinstalled Skype apps & rebooted my iPhone but the problem remain same, pls. Help me out of this issue,

Did u update the app? I think it's normal based on how well 3G is in the area. FaceTime will always be the best quality picture moreso than tango.

Yes I have reinstalled Skype twice a time, but nothing worked,
I have just upgraded my iPhone 4.2.1 TO 4.3.2, I lost my jailbreak app, thats no prob but I cannot find any change in respect of new application in my home screen. Pls. Advise what next I have to do? I almost new to iPhone so don't knew much..
looking for yours advise...

Hi, have u tried doing a clean restore of current 4.3.2 dont jailbreak and download Skype sign in don't restore from backup setup as new phone. U can jb with redsn0w 0.9.6rc14 later untethered but check see if Skype is working after a clean restore setup as new phone first. I use tango and FaceTime but Skype is universal on Mac and PC. Skype works best in wifi even though it can work over 3G. Pic quality is better over wifi. Skype pulls from data plan whenever away from wifi network.

Last edited: