What's new

Facetime button gone!!!

amynicoler

Reaction score
I had the original Iphone which was jailbroken and just got the Iphone 4. I synced it to my Itunes and everything was messed up on it. I tried to restore it to manufacture settings and everything is back to normal except the facetime button. The facetime button is no longer there and is now the "hold" button. What should I do???

Also, If I sync my old phone to my bf's laptop, and then try to sync the NEW iphone will this help? Will I be able to get my info and not his?

I had the original Iphone which was jailbroken and just got the Iphone 4. I synced it to my Itunes and everything was messed up on it. I tried to restore it to manufacture settings and everything is back to normal except the facetime button. The facetime button is no longer there and is now the "hold" button. What should I do???

Also, If I sync my old phone to my bf's laptop, and then try to sync the NEW iphone will this help? Will I be able to get my info and not his?

Your facetime slider is off..its under settings>phone>. As far as syncing goes when you sync for the first time it will ask if you want to set it up as a new phone or restore as your boyfriends. Simply select setup as new.

I don't think I ever had the facetime button. I bought 2 new iphones.. one is mine.. one my sons.. his has a button and has the option to facetime in contacts. Mine does not. I did check settings>phone>facetime and turned it on. I called the at&t store.. they said they had gotten several calls like this.. and they were told to log into itunes..sync and it should come back.. none of this has worked..

I don't think I ever had the facetime button. I bought 2 new iphones.. one is mine.. one my sons.. his has a button and has the option to facetime in contacts. Mine does not. I did check settings>phone>facetime and turned it on. I called the at&t store.. they said they had gotten several calls like this.. and they were told to log into itunes..sync and it should come back.. none of this has worked..

Try restoring. But before you do that try this:

Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings

After that make sure your Facetime slider is on.

Make sure your on a strong wifi, and make sure it can connect. Just because you can see the Wifi bars on your status bar doesn't mean that wifi is working for you. Open up Safari on your iPhone and try to load a page to make sure.

Don't know if u worked ur problem out yet, but the FaceTime button only appears during a call when wifi is turned on, on the phone. Hope that helps!

Your facetime slider is off..its under settings>phone>. As far as syncing goes when you sync for the first time it will ask if you want to set it up as a new phone or restore as your boyfriends. Simply select setup as new.

This worked for me! Thanks!!!!!

I have not been able to facetime for so long, and couldn't figure out why! This worked perfectly, and made me feel very stupid. :) Thank you SO much!!!

After a reset on my iphone 4 I too lost facetime facility. The following solved it for me.
Settings > General > network. Turn 3g off.
Settings > phone. Turn facetime off (this step may not be necessary)
Checked that facetime was still missing (replaced by hold button)
Settings > phone. Turn facetime on.
Facetime button had reappeared.
Turned 3G back on, facetime button remained.

Thanks for the info guys, fixed my issue, didn't know where to switch it on!

Just got my 4S and after setting it up I notice I too have no facetime icon even though it is listed under settings. I have did all that gwenfromorpington suggested.
Ok this may be strange, I have facetime under the settings menu and I also can go into contacts and do facetime from there to my Ipad but I have no Facetime icon on my new Iphone 4s. There is one on my Ipad2. Is it possible there is no Facetime Icon on the 4s. Can someone help me.

Last edited:
When all else fails read the docs. It says in order to make a Facetime call you go to contacts and click on the person and then click on the Facetime tab. I guess Apple figures on the phone less icons is better.

My FaceTime icon was present when I first switched on the phone (I think). Since I have completed a restore from a 3GS the icon has disappeared but I still have the FaceTime section within settings and I can initiate FaceTime from a contact. Should there be an icon?

Yes you can make face time calls but how do you get the the icon back? That's the question. Just wondering.

Last edited:
ta2crew61 said:
Yes you can make face time calls but how do you get the the icon back? That's the question. Just wondering.

That's my question, too. I like the option of going right to face time from my home page just like I can from my iPad In lieu of that option, at least there should be a favorites face time shortcut.

I have an ATT 4s