What's new

Facebook Said to be Using Ex-iPhone Engineers to Make Facebook Phone

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
4113-facebook-app-update.JPG

The New York Times writes that according to sources who have been briefed on Facebook’s plans, the company is planning to launch its own Facebook smartphone to rival the iPhone as early as next year. The anonymous sources say that Facebook has recruited several former iPhone software and hardware engineers, as well as one engineer who has had previous experience working on the iPad. As The New York Times notes, if Facebook is indeed currently working on its own branded smartphone, this would represent the third time that it had attempted such a feat. Previously Facebook had reportedly ditched a plan to make its own smartphone back in 2010, when it realized that creating your own smartphone wasn’t all that easy to do! For some reason, though, the company was also said to have started the whole process all over again in 2011, in partnership with HTC, and had even got so far as to give the project the awesome codename, “Buffy”! The Times says that this project is actually still ongoing, but will be expanded with the help of the newly recruited ex-Apple employees, some of whom will also be starting up other smartphone projects within Facebook. Facebook did not deny the story when questioned about it, according to The Times, although it didn’t exactly confirm it either.

Source: Facebook Might Have a Smartphone in Its Future - NYTimes.com

It will be a foolish move that would alienate all of the major OS builders. Apple, Google, Rim and Windows would have to think long and hard about continuing to support the Facebook app if Facebook is making its own phone and becomes a competitor.

Take for example. Apple is doing away with Google Maps and Google search in Safari, likely to happen in iOS 6, and replace them with in house built and designed apps/functions.

Sent from my iPhone 4S on Sprints Now Network.

As someone who deleted my FB account over a year ago I can honestly say I would not touch that phone with a ten foot pole. But that's just me.

seneca18 said:
As someone who deleted my FB account over a year ago I can honestly say I would not touch that phone with a ten foot pole. But that's just me.

I second that notion!