What's new

Face Time

Bonnie

Reaction score
Hi,
Pretty new with my iphone 4. Bought it to do "face time" with grandchildren. However, I have great phone reception area but face time doesn't seem to work. I don't know the difference between 3G and Wi-Fi. Do I need to have a Wi-Fi connection to do face time? If so, why? All help will be greatly appreciated.

Bonnie

Hi,
Pretty new with my iphone 4. Bought it to do "face time" with grandchildren. However, I have great phone reception area but face time doesn't seem to work. I don't know the difference between 3G and Wi-Fi. Do I need to have a Wi-Fi connection to do face time? If so, why? All help will be greatly appreciated.

Bonnie

Yes, wifi is needed to run FaceTime. Wifi is just a router plugged into the Internet connection you receive to your home or business, and broadcasts that Internet connection throughout the area its in. New ones are fairly easy to set up, all you need to do is hook it up to a computer and follow the instructions that are included and fairly easy to follow.

And, on the iPhone, you can set it that it will automatically connect to wifi whenever you are in range.

Any more help you need lemme know :)

Forgot to add why it needs wifi, it's because this would even further put a damper on at&ts network, drain battery at a higher rate, and would not be as efficient, as 3G is, generally, slower than wifi.

Last edited:
Download tango. It works of 3G and wifi. You need tango on the persons phone you are calling aswell. Works on anything FaceTime does and more...

can an icon be placed on the home screen or face time has to be accessed from email contacts.
at present i have to access from email contact, any help will be appreiceated..

The iPod touch has a springboard icon. The iPhones FaceTime can be found in your contacts...

Bonnie, the info gaz.... gave you was excellent. However, if you wish, try the Skype app available free from the App store. This will work on 3G and wi-fi, but both parties need a Skype account. That's not a big deal.

No accounts needed with tango. Works off you phone number or email if you have an iPod touch. No need to add any one. When you install it tango automatically searches your contacts and shows up any that have tango...