What's new

External Hard Drive.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really need to get an external Hard Drive, I have never backed up, Something I kept putting off, There is so much out there though that I don't know which to choose.
I want one ready formatted for Mac.
Is wireless better?
At least 2TB needed.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I've used a chiliGREEN external harddrive (500 GB), it has to be connected via USB. I didn't have to set it up for my MacBook especially, if memory serves right.

Since last week, I'm using an AirPort Time Capsule (3 TB) for my backups.

I've used a chiliGREEN external harddrive (500 GB), it has to be connected via USB. I didn't have to set it up for my MacBook especially, if memory serves right.

Since last week, I'm using an AirPort Time Capsule (3 TB) for my backups.
I looked at the Airport Time Capsule, Very expensive but I like the look of it.
Do you think its worth the money as opposed to a cheaper Hard Drive?

Airport is great if you want to be wireless and allow multiple devices to access it, speed of transfer here would be an issue. I have more storage than I can shake a stick at on my home machine, 6Tb internal and 3 external USB drives. Even the USB drives are too slow for my daily use so I just use them to transfer files between home and work.

My first impression: it's good. It's not even a week that I've installed it, so I can't really tell you more. I certainly don't use it to it's full extent yet.

Thank you, I'm looking at WD at the moment, They are a well respected brand and might suit my needs.
Another one is Lacie.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Seagate? They seem cheaper than some so just wondering if they any good.

Looking at a
Toshiba HDTC810EC3AA 2TB Canvio Connect II USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive.

We don't use seagate here at work due to their high failure rate on larger drives
Any thoughts on the Toshiba? According to the specs it works on Mac out of the box, It says
  • NTFS driver for Mac included.

Any thoughts on the Toshiba? According to the specs it works on Mac out of the box, It says
  • NTFS driver for Mac included.

I have a Toshiba external USB drive here attached to my laptop, it's been in daily use for over a year now. I can't say anything bad about it. Looking at the link I posted earlier, Toshiba have a low failure rate so it would be worth thinking about it

I have a Toshiba external USB drive here attached to my laptop, it's been in daily use for over a year now. I can't say anything bad about it. Looking at the link I posted earlier, Toshiba have a low failure rate so it would be worth thinking about it
Thank you, It has some good reviews, Wasn't sure what NTFS was, I'll google that.