What's new

Error 6 when attempting to update to iOS 9.2 on a brand new iPhone 6?

The Dude

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just received a new iPhone and before configuring it with my Apple ID I made the decision to plug it into iTunes and update iOS. Unfortunately the update did not go smoothly; instead I received the message below -

amci7k.jpg

I have subsequently booted the phone into 'Recovery Mode' and plugged it back into my PC. When doing so I am presented with the message below, at which point I click on 'Update' -

35ndf1w.jpg

iTunes appears to extract the software (iOS firmware) fine -

6i60qw.jpg

After extraction the phone then reboots, and for a short period of time iTunes attempts to contact Apple to verify the update. However the phone is stuck with no progress on the 'update bar' (phone screen) and iTunes then shows 'Waiting for iPhone' -

14kv9jl.jpg

After iTunes waits for a short time, usually about 30 seconds, I am again presented with the original error message.

Finally I have also attempted to update iOS manually by Shift clicking on the 'Update' button then selecting a downloaded .ipsw file. However this also results in the original error message.

Any help with resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Last edited:
Turn off your computer's anti virus stuff. Then try to do the update. It may be easier if you first get the iPhone configurated to your Apple ID but I believe Error 6 is your firewall/anti-virus causing a problem.

Hi Everyone,

This was an issue with my internet connection.

My work utilizes a Proxy Server which was blocking the ports that iTunes uses to connect with Apple Servers for the purpose of verifying software updates.

To overcome this I used my smartphone as a modem and made a successful connection with Apple.

The moral here is that an internet connection to Apple is required for all iOS iTunes based updates.

This is the case even when using the manual (ipsw file) method.

Kind Regards,

Davo

You also can only connect your iPhone to iTunes on a computer that you can list as a trusted computer, hence, few can do this on a work computer. Do it on your home computer or use the Wi-fi download.