What's new

Email account for iPhone4

LeeB

Reaction score
I have had my phone for about 4 months and I am freaked out about going over my 2gig limit.

My phone is all registered on itunes using my gmail account and I have used it and kinda sorta love it.

My question is can I make a secret email account and only give it to certain people. That way I avoid getting ALL my regular email on my phone and having it go over my limit. This way when I travel and someone needs to send me a email they can...

Thanks Lee........ This is my very first smart phone so be gentle..... LoL

Try to use wifi as much as possible that'll cut down on your data usage there are so many places now with free wifi it is worth it to go to your nearest La Panera, Miky d's'
Or coffee shop and check all your mail and anything else you may need.

Thanks SharonG I do that now. It's just that I travel in a Motor Home a lot and many times there is no WiFi but I have phone reception.

I have had my phone for about 4 months and I am freaked out about going over my 2gig limit.

My phone is all registered on itunes using my gmail account and I have used it and kinda sorta love it.

My question is can I make a secret email account and only give it to certain people. That way I avoid getting ALL my regular email on my phone and having it go over my limit. This way when I travel and someone needs to send me a email they can...

Thanks Lee........ This is my very first smart phone so be gentle..... LoL

Sure. What you can do is create another account (another Gmail account would be easiest). Then, have that one be your default account on the phone and delete the other account. As in, take it out of the Mail app entirely (through the Settings app).

Then, for your original account and address, the one that everyone has, I'd recommend getting the Gmail app for that one. You can set it up so that you only get mail when you open that Gmail app - so you can wait until you get to a WiFi area. I do this for my part-time work e-mail account ... which allows me to check it when I wish. But, if you don't check it, then you don't use data.

Only give the new e-mail address to those you wish to have it. Then, when you want to see the other e-mail account and the other e-mails, either re-load it onto your phone to check it, use Safari to go online to check it or use the Gmail app.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Marilyn

Thanks Micky.. I will try a figure out what you said. LoL....... Remember I am VERY new to this smartphone thing...

Papa I am with Verizon...

You can set up as many accounts as you need, also attach associated accounts to you existing one.

Where it falls down is when people forward emails without using bcc.

Example you email me with a funny joke, your secret email account is then shown in the 'from'.

If i forward without removing your address, it appears on the emails i forward from you, and so on. So make sure you have the 'reply to' for you private account set to your public email account.

To help, you can adjust (in mail setting) to only download headers, no images, turn off push and set to manual fir retrieval (which eill rhen only look fir new mail when you tap in the mail icon) and so in to reduce data usage.