What's new

Document editor help

ZD1360

Reaction score
Hey, I registered specifically for an answer to this. I need an app to transfer text documents, specifically Open Office files directly from my computer to be stored/viewed/edited on my phone. I don't want to use the cloud or google docs for this, I want to take it from computer to phone by USB. Free or paid doesn't matter. I've looked but many use online sources to store the files, I want them on the phone directly

Hey, I registered specifically for an answer to this. I need an app to transfer text documents, specifically Open Office files directly from my computer to be stored/viewed/edited on my phone. I don't want to use the cloud or google docs for this, I want to take it from computer to phone by USB. Free or paid doesn't matter. I've looked but many use online sources to store the files, I want them on the phone directly

Through USB, you'll need to be jailbroken to be able to access them since they'll be stored in the external media portion of the device as if it's a flash drive. You can transfer them using FTP on apps like Office^2. It requires an Internet connection or Bluetooth connection. Or you can use an SSH client to transfer it over if you have access to the root directory

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You lost me at FTP and then even more so at SSH client

ZD1360 said:

Install and use Dropbox, that's what I use to transfer/sync files between devices. There's also an app called Nocs that will let you edit text files right from Dropbox.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that you didn't want to use the cloud for this. I will say that refusing to use the cloud is somewhat limiting yourself, just my opinion.

Last edited:
You lost me at FTP and then even more so at SSH client

FTP and SSH are file transfer protocols. The ideas are he same as using Bluetooth to transfer data, it sends it over your network connection direct'y from your computer to your PC and back if you'd like

I use Documents to Go. The free version will let you view them but the upgrade will let you edit on the phone then you can sync with wifi or usb cable.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses, I really don't want to jailbreak my phone. The files I am wanting to access from my phone are fairly sensitive which is why I am interested in not having them being "hosted". What if I gave up the editing option, is there any app that can get the documents to my phone and then be stored there and accessed/viewed offline only. Or are all apps required to "store" the data using online services, meaning its not actually on the phone?

Thanks for the responses, I really don't want to jailbreak my phone. The files I am wanting to access from my phone are fairly sensitive which is why I am interested in not having them being "hosted". What if I gave up the editing option, is there any app that can get the documents to my phone and then be stored there and accessed/viewed offline only. Or are all apps required to "store" the data using online services, meaning its not actually on the phone?

You can store them on the phone. editing is a different story. But if the documents are as sensitive as you say, then carrying them in a designated Netbook or laptop would be the better choice. iPhone's can have spyware as well, so that's one risk factor of having sensitive information on the iPhone. Or if you have the investment, you can create a VPN and store it there and access it from your iPhone using VPN apps from the appstore