What's new

Do these apps invade your privacy?

Type R

Reaction score
Hi,

Do all the apps in the appstore determine your local time? If so, through what means?

I can understand my banking apps can determine the time I take the picture of the checks I deposit into my bank account. However, how do these apps determine your local time? Do they figure it out through GPS or your location services? Also, any of the pictures you take (through other apps or camera apps) have a hidden time stamp on them? I do use several camera apps that I take my pictures with, but I fear that the developers can determine the "time" I took them. Can they also determine the location on where I took these pictures?

Experts, please give me some insight!

Also, through the time settings on general settings, can apps see the set time through your device settings?

They generally take your local time. Most banking apps are kept very minimalistic (assuming they're by the actual bank and not through a 3rd party or a certified 3rd party). The most they'll invade would be your local time and your photos (unless it's a snap and send only).

Is the local time determined from the actual settings on your phone? Or through GPS or location services?

Say for example I change the time zone on my phone through general settings to Chicago, IL, but I'm located in Los Angeles, CA. Will the apps see the time on the device itself? Or at your location on GPS?

It'll still read LA, CA. It uses your GPS to find your local time.