What's new

Do I want iCloud email?

abredt

Reaction score
Just got 5S - my first ever Apple product. I have email accounts: yahoo and gmail.
The 5S came with an icloud account that opens when I tap Mail. I can get to yahoo and gmail by going to their websites and signing in.
Why do I need iCloud mail?

Maybe I should have them all in Mail? How?
Thanks, cb

iCloud email will be sync'd to all of your iOS and OS X devices as long as you're using the same Apple ID across all devices. You can also do your iCloud email activites at http://www.icloud.com in any newer web browser on Windows and Linux.

Furthermore, you can add external email accounts to your new phone by going to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendar > Accounts. This way you can have your gmail account on your phone and, possibly, I'm not sure, Yahoo mail account too. There are also email apps in the App Store for Gmail and Yahoo mail, perhaps those would suit your needs better?

Last edited:
Just got 5S - my first ever Apple product. I have email accounts: yahoo and gmail. The 5S came with an icloud account that opens when I tap Mail. I can get to yahoo and gmail by going to their websites and signing in. Why do I need iCloud mail? Maybe I should have them all in Mail? How? Thanks, cb
I have 4 Gmail accounts, a Comcast email account, and the iCloud account. I've found the iCloud account handy for a variety of uses. You can also add folders to your accounts in the Mail app.

I have Yahoo and another internet service as my email accounts. Both are set up on my Iphone as Exchange accounts and because of that, both appear in my noitifcations, etc and are easily accessed on my phone. I have not chosen to keep an icloud email active and it has not impaired my accessessing things on the phone. It really depends on your needs and usage.