What's new

Disappearing Sent Folder in Gmail via Google Sync (Exchange Setting)

Keribang

Reaction score
Greetings,

Mail on my iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1 (non-jailbroken).

After setting up Push Gmail using the Exchange setting via Google Sync everything seems to work well. I have set up "Mail Folders to Push" for the Inbox and Sent Items folders, and the "Mail Days to Sync" to 1 week.. All folders were pushed accordingly.

In the Mailbox view I got a “in-tray” picture besides the Inbox folder, and more importantly a “paper plane” besides Sent folder. Great but here’s the problem:

1.After a couple of hours, the Sent folder with the “paper plane” besides it disappears along with the Sent emails within.
2.There’s still Sent Items folder (now without “paper plane” picture) with nothing in it. In fact, there are now 2 Sent Items folders with nothing in them.
3.Turning off and on the folders to push in settings does not make any different.
4.Deleting the account completely and re-setup the account will bring it back but again within the hour it will disappear again as no. 1?
I have delete and re-setup the account many times and no. 4 will always happen.

Anyone else experiences the same thing? Any solutions?

Thank you.

Greetings,

Looks like I have to answer myself here, LOL. I found the cause of the above problem and the (hopefully permanent) solution.

It was not the Mail app but Google Sync setting. Here's how I get my Sent Folder back.

1. Go to Gmail and delete duplicate labels, in my case- Imap/Sent Item and Sent Item. Leave only the main Sent Mail folder (the one under Inbox). I have also removed all other Imap labels, which I don't think is necessary but I did it anyway since I do not use Gmail Imap anymore. You might want to copy/move emails contain within these folders before deleting the folders :).

2. Go back to Mail app setting - push all the folders you want, for me it's the Inbox, Sent & All Mail.

Then voila, the Sent folder is back where it suppose to be (with the paper plane no less) and would contain the Sent emails as per your setting (3 days, 2 months etc).

You might want to turn off the Mail app and turn it back on (via multitask - double click the home button) for this to take effect.

Cheers.