What's new

deleted phonebook contacts still showing up when attempting a text message

srweinberger

Reaction score
I got the Iphone5 and I had deleted some old contacts however if I try and send a text message and type in a letter a deleted contact with the same initial will show up. The contacts are not in my phone book and the number shows up as just other. The contacts aren't in my address book on my computer either. I don't have any groups either. Please help. Thanks.

I spoke to Apple Tech Support today as I have the same problem with my iPhone 4 which I updated to iOS6 about 2 weeks ago. They told me is down to the new operating system......If you have stored a contact in "Contacts" and previously sent them SMS messages or emails and then delete the name in "Contacts", this will remove the name from "Contacts", but like a computer it will save that number in the overall memory of the phone. Hence when you go to "Messages" and type in the name of deleted contact it shows the name and the persons number is still there showing as "other". The only way to remove this is to do a full reset in your iPhone to erase all contents and data. Then it will resolve the issue. I'm due to get an iPhone 5 and this same issue will appear on the iPhone 5 if I repeat the above. So to avoid this is to only put contacts in your phone if you know that you won't delete them. However we all know that probably won't happen as in time we all delete contacts for various reasons which means the number will still remain in the overall phone memory. Its a pain, but something Apple says is not a fault and just iOS6. Hope that helps.