What's new

Deleted emails return to Inbox!

GA787

Reaction score
Many of my deleted emails return to the inbox! Some return immediately, some days later... This happens even after I've emptied the trash! Apple Support was worthless (People in India tried to rip me off.). Anybody else had this problem?

Welcome to iPhoneForums, GA787!

The other thread you started on the same topic has been deleted. Also, the post about your iPhone has been edited, because it mentioned the same problem. Besides fragmenting the conversation and making it hard to follow, duplicate posts and threads are against our rules.

Please keep any discussion of your problem to this thread.

Also, provide more information, so we'll be able to help you:
Which software is installed on your device, which email account shows this behaviour, since when does this happen, and is it a POP or an IMAP account, and what did you try to get it back to normal?

Last edited:
Welcome to iPhoneForums, GA787!

The other thread you started on the same topic has been deleted. Also, the post about your iPhone has been edited, because it mentioned the same problem. Besides fragmenting the conversation and making it hard to follow, duplicate posts and threads are against our rules.

Please keep any discussion of your problem to this thread.

Also, provide more information, so we'll be able to help you:
Which software is installed on your device, which email account shows this behaviour, since when does this happen, and is it a POP or an IMAP account, and what did you try to get it back to normal?

Thanks for your response and suggestions. I apologize for the sloppy posts, etc. I've only had the iPhone a couple of months and am still fumbling. I guess my mail software is Outlook (like my computer), but I don't see that icon and don't know how to verify. I only have one email account and it is IMAP.

Things I've tried:
1. deleting the account and starting over (3 times)
2. Shutting off iCloud (made no difference)
3. Switching from "Fetch" to "Push" (made no difference)
4. In "advanced settings" I set to remove deleted messages "after one day" (instead of 1 week)
5. I tried "Use SSL" both on and off (made no difference... It's now set to "off.")
6. Under "MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO", "Deleted Mailbox" is currently checked. The only alternative is "archive mailbox" and that doesn't seem right.
7. Under the category "Deleted mailbox"-- "ON MY IPHONE" "Trash" is checked -- Only alternative is "Notes" "ON SERVER" & that doesn't seem right.
Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing, but I've tried everything I can think of. The folks at Verizon Wireless have also tried several things, and nothing has helped. They even suggested wiping my iPhone clean and starting over, but I hope I don't have to do that. Sometimes the emails seem to delete properly, but then, after a few hours or a day, they return."

Thanks again for your response! I sincerely appreciate anything you can do to help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the category "Deleted Mailbox", is there also the option "On the server" and is there check marked "Deleted Messages"?
image.jpg

Is it possible for you to access the account online (using a browser) and take a look at the settings there?

You may have hit on the problem. My iPhone is different. When I get to that page it looks like this:

ON MY PHONE
Trash

ON THE SERVER
Inbox
Erskine Email
Notes

That's it! The Drafts option and Deleted Messages options don't appear on the page. When I click on "Notes" the checkmark goes there, so I will try that. Do you think that will work?

No idea. It still seems wrong.

Is it possible for you to login to your account using a browser/Safari?

I tried moving the check to the "Notes" line and it didn't work. Deleted emails returned immediately!

I don't know how to login to my email account through the browser. I Googled my email address and it didn't offer the chance to log in.

I think my iPhone has a built-in flaw that's causing the deletion problem. Can you tell me how to go about getting this phone checked and possibly replaced?

Search for "login erskine.edu". Perhaps this will show you a site where you can login in Safari.

You'll have to visit an Apple Retail Store to get your device checked.

I tried to login the way you suggested, and it didn't work.

I guess I'll have to take the phone back to the Verizon Wireless store where I got it. I took it to them before, but they couldn't fix it and they didn't offer a new phone.

I suppose this is a setting in your email account - not on the iPhone but the online account - with something enabled that shouldn't be.

Which way do you access the account, if you don't use your iPhone?

Just to add to what JA is talking about as far as a browser...if you can get online on a pc or laptop, it's much easier to check your settings and make changes than to do it on your phone, for "some" functions. Log in to Outlook through IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc. and see how you have it set up there.