What's new

Delete emails on the phone but not server

TfromFl

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to delete emails on the iPhone 4 and have them stay on the server? I had the ability to do this on my BlackBerry, however, with the iPhone, when I delete from the phone and refresh my Gmail they are also gone there.

I wonder if it makes a difference if the email goes through Outlook? Probably not.

Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calenders > Choose you email account > Advance > Delete from server > Never...

^ basically, you're choosing the option where the server (computer/website) is "more powerful" than the app.
just out of curiousity, why would you want it that way?

^ basically, you're choosing the option where the server (computer/website) is "more powerful" than the app.
just out of curiousity, why would you want it that way?

well some people like the inbox on the phone clean but want to keep them on the server so they can reference back to that email if they ever needed to

Thanks for the quick reply, but...That would make sense and possibly is the reason I can't do it. When I go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > choose my email...it is non-responsive (when I try to choose it). It says Gmail with a ">" on the right side but when I tap the screen nothing happens. I also see "MobileMe" which also has the ">" but nothing happens when I tap the screen there either. Am I missing something?

pigeon, I email pictures to clients daily with no content, only pictures. Basically, I don't need anything in the inbox on this account only because all I do with it is email customers pics, therefore I like to keep the inbox on the phone clean, I can always find the pics I emailed from the sent mail, which I do from my office on the pc. I do, however, have occasional replies from the clients that I need to hang onto for a while but not on the phone since I always reference back to them from my office.....WHEW!

Gmail does not delete the messages. Messages deleted on the iphone are still available in the "all mail" folder.

Gmail does not delete the messages. Messages deleted on the iphone are still available in the "all mail" folder.

Thanks, I reckon that's one way around it but, with my BlackBerry, my inbox was undisturbed on the pc. That's the way I would like it now. I'm don't fancy the idea of hunting through the "all mail" searching for an email. Thanks though at least I know what to do until I can figure out the "old way".

Last edited:
Even when I tap on "Add Account" or "Fetch New Data"! Those are not responding either! Everything below the word Mail will respond with a tap, for example Show, Preview, Minimum Font Size etc... Also, all of those below the word mail are in bold everything below Accounts, is NOT bold, therefore not responding.

Sounds like you've got some software issues. Try a reboot see if that sorts it. If not you might need to do a restore...

Just got off the phone with Apple. Been on with them for 90 minutes! Found out it's a thing with Gmail, they changed from imap to pop so you have to go in and set up an account under "other", then go to Gmail on your computer/Mac and change from imap to pop. I did that but it still didn't work, I am going to do it again and make sure I didn't make an error in the information I entered in all the fields (outgoing server, incoming server, etc). It appears my only other option is to take a trip to the Apple Store.

The issue with not being able to click/tap the areas in question from an earlier post was due to "Mail Accounts" was disabled in Restrictions. FYI- if something is not clickable or responsive or does not function the way it should, FIRST check Settings > General > Restrictions and review whatever may or may not be turned on/off. It just might be a simple fix.

Last edited: