What's new

Dead, but not!, screen

Alexis Hunter-Craig

Reaction score
Hi to all from a forum a newbie.

I realise there are a lot of threads with dead/black screens and all other variations of this already out there, but wanted to see if someone can diagnose the specific error based on the info below:

My son got his iPhone 6 wet on the way home from school. He got it back but it stopped working. I out in rice for a few days and unexpectedly this seemed to work. However, a couple of days later it died again and nothing would bring it back. I opened it up, as thought had nothing to lose. When I disconnected the LCD digitiser/home button flex cable and the screen turned on and worked perfectly. Powering down and reconnecting the cable caused the screen to remain off regardless of what was done.

So the question is where's the error? with the digitiser flex cable, the home button, or somewhere else!

Many thanks
Alexis

Last edited:
It could be any of the components connected to the cable you disconnected. It would thane a full diagnostic to pinpoint the problem. Genius Bar appointments at an Apple Store are free. If they find a problem they’ll quote you a repair cost but an iPhone 6 can be almost 6 years old and the repair cost will likely be more than the phone is currently worth.

Too true! An iPhone of this age is only worth repairing if you do it yourself - hence the post. Thanks for the idea of taking to an Apple Bar. If I'm in the area of one I'll see if they will have a gander at it.