What's new

Damaged Phone Options

Rocko

Reaction score
If you have no insurance and your phone is damaged and or out of warranty, the cost of a 4S say to get repaired/replaced at Apple is $199 correct?

Weighing having insurance. With such high deductibles, it doesn't seem to make sense to carry it-minus theft or a straight loss.

Unless you are due an upgrade, you will have to pay full retail---$649

Last edited:
I found this out last week. My iPhone 4's screen cut out for some reason 3 months after the warranty ran out. I phoned my insurance only to find they had bumped up the excess from £35 to £100 for iPhones. Apple do a direct replacement on the spot for £160.

Factor in its around £10 a month for most phone insurance and that you would have to wait over a week to get your phone back you can guess what I've done with my insurance company. Of course a loss or theft will leave you without a paddle...

Sorry... I guess I gave wrong info. I had no idea Apple would replace a phone out of warranty!

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Other than that it's $199 for a 4S.

Apples aftercare is amazing. It's one of the best things about them. My 3GS was replaced under warranty even though it was liquid damaged. I also had a friend who's iPhone was only a month out of warranty. He was going to pay someone to fix it until I suggested he gave the apple store a try. They were kind enough to replace it for him under warranty...

Apple Care is great. It is well worth the price for the extended 2-3 years warranty. Some Apple employees will be lenient and replace/fix damages on the phone without much questioning.
As for damages outside of warranty...such as water damage, wear or cosmetic damage or modification is ineligible.