What's new

Cracked iphone5 screen

Sorry to hear that man, I can imagine how it feels, that horrible moment when you realize it's cracked! Happened to a friend of mine in my car, he dropped his new phone on the ground as he was stepping out. But he did manage to get it replaced even though he didn't get any insurance on it, I think they have some leniency on that in the beginning.

It literally just shot a crack across the top of the screen. I've had 3 different versions of iPhones & have never cracked a screen till the 5

If you google it, there is something about a bubble under the glass & while using the phone it you happen to make contact with the bubble it can crack the very thin glass.

The Galaxy III uses the same glass but twice as thick & is not experiencing the issue that the 5 has had.

Several complaints already of new phones arriving with cracked glass too!

sorry bud, but I am just having a hard time buying yours, and the guy who started this thread's story. Why don't you back up what you are claiming with pics??

Back it up? Only asking if anyone else has done the same as me?

Back it up? Only asking if anyone else has done the same as me?

You made a claim without backing it up. The picture would give some insight as to what exactly happened. How difficult is it to post a picture ? I am curious because I have seen the new iphone get dropped from about 6 feet repeatedly on drop tests without developing a cracked screen. ON your second post you claim "a small fall". What is a small fall?? The other guy says, that his screen cracked while updating his contacts?? All I am asking is, Don't you want to substantiate your claims?

Last edited:
chubaka said:
You made a claim without backing it up. The picture would give some insight as to what exactly happened. How difficult is it to post a picture ? I am curious because I have seen the new iphone get dropped from about 6 feet repeatedly on drop tests without developing a cracked screen.

Nowhere does it state that a user must post proof of a claim they stake. In this case, the OP is simply asking if anyone else has done he same. He/she is, however, not looking to prove themselves to anyone. My advice... drop it!

Nowhere does it state that a user must post proof of a claim they stake. In this case, the OP is simply asking if anyone else has done he same. He/she is, however, not looking to prove themselves to anyone. My advice... drop it!

I understand that nowhere does it state that a claimant must submit proof. It just would have given the claim more credibility. Dropped.

Here's one photo

$image-823683662.jpg

Here's another, hope you can see the cracks and can work out how they join up :/

$image-1412505014.jpg

My small fall was from my chest pocket onto a concrete floor as I bent over to tie my laces. Max of three feet.

This is my first post on this forum and first use of this app. I agree it's easy to post a photo here if u have another device to take it. Advice on how to post a photo would of been better than criticising? I've now worked out how to post photos! Lol hope that helps, still looking to see just how unlucky I was, or how easy it is to break...

hmmm...

I have been doing forensic analysis and picture analysis for almost 20 years, due to my current job. Unless someone can show me something I completely missed, those pictures look legit.

Those cracks are damn interesting....

Funny thing is the failure shown is not 100% indicative of dropped device. In fact the crack leading into the top speaker looks like a structural failure crack. The reason I can say that is due to the curved class in that area is actually stronger than the right edge of the glass where it terminates.

The other notable observation is the two cracks do not start or terminate from a common point or side of the phone.

This looks to me like trapped air between two dissimilar material layers that are under two different tensions/pressures that finally structurally failed.

Which makes you very unlucky for dropping it exactly has needed to cause the tension point to snap.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like a tension failure point the way the cracks travelled across the screen.

I've dropped my iPhone 4 exactly the way you describe it a half dozen times and nothing ever happened. I am not hearing that this is common which I'd say makes you darn unlucky.

I'd take it back to an apple store and argue that it's a structural failure and therefore a quality issue with this particular phone.

Very interesting! I think I'll do that and try my luck.....

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thank you

Tapping on the screen will cause spidering .. starting from a very small spot, growing much larger as you use the phone. Mine went from to very small to all over the screen. At the time my area was snowed under and could barely get my car out of the garage to take it in. Had to wait till it was safe. I didn't even drop mine, a Fascinate. Just had a defective screen.

Apple store not interested....

Even if screen defective, it wouldn't have cracked if I hadn't of dropped it so its accidental damage which they don't cover.

Which tbh I understand.