What's new

Cracked iphone5 screen

olly1972

Reaction score
Anyone else cracked their screen in less than a week of having one??

olly1972 said:

Did you purchase the AppleCare + protection plan when you bought your iPhone? It covers up to two incidents of accidental damage over the life of the plan.

No, and had only just insured it b4 it happened.

Was only a small fall, and initial damage was a small chip on the edge.

You should have warranty. That's if they will cover this..

iRich said:
You should have warranty. That's if they will cover this..

The normal warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, only AppleCare + does.

olly1972 said:

Yes - had mine for about 10 days & it cracked as I was updating my contacts.

I took it to Apple & explained what happened - no questions asked they ordered me a new one.

Mine also had a crack/chip in the upper right-hand corner & cracked to the left & slightly downward.

Supposedly there is an issue with the gorilla glass they are using but I doubt Apple will ever admit to it.

Good luck - they should replace yours without issue.

Yes - had mine for about 10 days & it cracked as I was updating my contacts.
Please... elaborate on how it was humanly possilbe to crack the screen of an iPhone (or any phone for that matter) while "updating my contacts."

Thomasjtsi said:
Please... elaborate on how it was humanly possilbe to crack the screen of an iPhone (or any phone for that matter) while "updating my contacts."

It literally just shot a crack across the top of the screen. I've had 3 different versions of iPhones & have never cracked a screen till the 5

If you google it, there is something about a bubble under the glass & while using the phone it you happen to make contact with the bubble it can crack the very thin glass.

The Galaxy III uses the same glass but twice as thick & is not experiencing the issue that the 5 has had.

Several complaints already of new phones arriving with cracked glass too!

Ahh I see. Love the addition of the GS3 not having these issues... unnecessary, but thanks!

Thomasjtsi said:
Ahh I see. Love the addition of the GS3 not having these issues... unnecessary, but thanks!

Only reason I mentioned that is they use the same gorilla glass but a thicker version; as much as Apple charges for these phones, you'd think they could beef up the glass fronts & avoid all the scratching & breakage issues :-(

Same thing happened to my Fascinate when less than 2 wks old .. and my first smart phone. The reps at the Verizon sore from where I bought it, debated about replacing, but I had pointed out I had not dropped it, and in the hard shell holster case for max protection. I had no insurance at that time. No doubt the glass was defective and constant touching the screen added to spidering. They did replace it on the spot with a new one. I added insurance and have it on my i5.

If they make the glass thicker, the touch sensors might not be as responsive.

I had a small crack after the phone slipped out of my pocket while sitting on the ground, this happened 4 days after getting the phone.
I called apple and set an appointment with the Genius Bar, they replaced the phone with no questions asked. I don't have Apple care or any insurance, but I'll be buying it now. I've owned every iPhone so far and this is the first I've cracked.

Sent from my 5 via Tapatalk