What's new

Could I use the back-up of my iPhone 4 on another Apple Device?

IbelithLP

Reaction score
Hello. I'm having troubles with my iPhone 4 (it's getting extremely hot), but it's a brand new phone. I think there could be something wrong with the back-up.
Anyway, going stray to my question... Can I install the iPhone 4 back-up on an iPhone 3G or iPod Touch? That way I can start with my iPhone 4 from scratch and use the old back-up as a blue print so I can put it just as it was before.

Note: Sorry if my question sounds silly or stupid, I rather ask than keep wondering about it.

Just backup you phone to iTunes then restore your phone.

When asked, choose to set up as new iPhone. You can then decide if there is any difference. If there is then it's the backup. If there isn't then you can restore from your backup by plugging it back into iTunes then right clicking on it and choosing restore from a backup...

Just backup you phone to iTunes then restore your phone.

When asked, choose to set up as new iPhone. You can then decide if there is any difference. If there is then it's the backup. If there isn't then you can restore from your backup by plugging it back into iTunes then right clicking on it and choosing restore from a backup...

The back-up is acting weird since one time I tried Cydia. :( That's why I asked if I could restore the back-up on another Apple Device to use as a blue print to my new iphone.
You know how it is... You save everything you got into your iphone by maybe transfering to your ipod touch or other Apple device (or so you think), restore it to brand new and then you remember you forgot to save something from it.

I don't know if back ups are backwards compatible. You can't use a 4.3.3 backup on a 4.3.2 firmware. I think the same will apply for using a iPhone 4 backup on a 3GS. I can't imagine it working on an iPod touch either as the iOS has a lot of differences...