What's new

Correct pronounciation of name/ add words to Siri's vocabulary

metrakay

Reaction score
Siri doesn't say my name correctly. How do I fix this?

How do I add vocalizations of names/jargon?

You can't. And Siri is still in Beta. So the code can be changed at any time.

I was hoping it was a little less beta than that!

As is, having a lot of people in my life with non-standard names, and words I no longer remember are jargon, it will be pretty worthless for anything of substance until it is more mature. Oh, well, early adoption has its drawbacks.

Thanks

Siri doesn't say my name correctly. How do I fix this?

Go into your contact info and adding a field at the bottom (once you've hit "edit"). You can add a phonetic spelling of your first and/or last name. You might have to tweak it, but she'll use that instead of her current pronunciation. Good luck!

Last edited:
OK, I've added the phonetic for my surname, in the area of contacts that has "names" like Friend and Assistant. This is not the "bottom" but I didn't think you meant below the address area. Can you now be more specific about how to "tweak" it? How will the Siri software know to pick that field? and how can I apply it easily to all members of family with the same surname once I get it working for me? She pronounces it just the way those telephone support people in Asia do--it's annoying because in the grand scheme of life and death, it's the only thing that's truly mine and I will take to the grave with me. I'd like it to be right while I'm here.

I'm not sure it works for anything but your own name... I could be wrong, though. By tweaking, I simply mean changing the phonetic spelling until she gets it right. you might add multiple "e"s, or try spelling something "eyer" vs "ire", making your name multiple "words", etc.

Keep us posted on your progress! (metrakay, you too -- any success?)

Last edited:
I too have a difficult to pronounce last name. I tried many times to spell my name phonetically, but it still
pronounces my last name the original wrong way.

To update phonetic spelling, go into the contact you want to edit, hit edit, go to bottom of page, click add field and you will find the phonetic spelling boxes for first and last names. Unfortunately, it doesn't make Siri pronounce it
any better. It could just be mine name she has a mental block for :)

I guess I'm an idiot. For me, there is no "bottom of the page" connected to phonetic information. However, when I select "Add Field" from the "Card" menu in Address Boook Version 5.0.3 (883) (Snow Leopard 10.6.8), I see "Phonetic First/Last Name" as a choice at the top of the pop-up list. I added these items. Now, how do I force Siri to "say" or "pronounce" my last name? And for those members of my family (in my Address Book) who share this surname, how do I get Siri to learn their names are the same? Add phonetic infor for each contact?

You can't. And Siri is still in Beta. So the code can be changed at any time.

I, for one, am absolutely shocked that Apple would release anything that is in "Beta" with a shipping product. Seems like they were really grasping for something to make the iPhone 4S stand out; sort of how Google included "Navigation Beta" with Android 2.0

Google shipping a beta, however, is nothing unexpected. I still cannot believe that Apple included beta code in iOS5 for the 4S.

I, for one, am absolutely shocked that Apple would release anything that is in "Beta" with a shipping product. Seems like they were really grasping for something to make the iPhone 4S stand out; sort of how Google included "Navigation Beta" with Android 2.0

Google shipping a beta, however, is nothing unexpected. I still cannot believe that Apple included beta code in iOS5 for the 4S.

I can give one very solid reason for this. Siri is a learning system. Which means it needs tens of thousands of different humans to use the product across the planet to build up its AI. You can not due that with only beta testers. You need to have it in the field and have people opt in to using it.

I cannot get Siri to pronounce my last name correctly. No matter what I enter in the phonetic field she always pronounces it the exact same, incorrect way. I can change the pronunciation for other contacts/friends no problem. What gives?

I cannot get Siri to pronounce my last name correctly. No matter what I enter in the phonetic field she always pronounces it the exact same, incorrect way. I can change the pronunciation for other contacts/friends no problem. What gives?

What's your last name?

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5 using Tapatalk

It's "Michaleski" She always says "Mitch-aleski", when it should be pronounced "Michael-eski"

It's "Michaleski" She always says "Mitch-aleski", when it should be pronounced "Michael-eski"

I hear your annoyance! I have a tomtom that says "chair...al calling when in fact my wife's name is Cheryl. *wonders if Siri would pronounce it like that*

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5 using Tapatalk