What's new

Correct pronounciation of name/ add words to Siri's vocabulary

As long as we're revealing last name details, here's mine:
My surname is Spydell. Pronounced, surprisingly enough, spy dell
not spu duhl

Did Siri come from Asia? I thought it was a child of DARPA. Every overseas Help Desk person is incapable of pronouncing the word "spy" (what does that say about them?) and equally frustrating, to me and to that German farmer who originated the children's song about his family, is that they cannot recognize the simple word "dell."

How would you pronounce "spydell?"

As long as we're revealing last name details, here's mine:
My surname is Spydell. Pronounced, surprisingly enough, spy dell
not spu duhl

Did Siri come from Asia? I thought it was a child of DARPA. Every overseas Help Desk person is incapable of pronouncing the word "spy" (what does that say about them?) and equally frustrating, to me and to that German farmer who originated the children's song about his family, is that they cannot recognize the simple word "dell."

How would you pronounce "spydell?"

(Laughs out loud) to me it's spy dell

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5 using Tapatalk

AppleGreg said:
Go into your contact info and adding a field at the bottom (once you've hit "edit"). You can add a phonetic spelling of your first and/or last name. You might have to tweak it, but she'll use that instead of her current pronunciation. Good luck!

Forum app's been fixed!

This helped a lot. Thanks!

-----
It still can't tell the difference between "Dad" and "Dan" or any variation of "Power off iPhone"... I keep expecting it to respond to its name rather that having to push a button. --"Siri, send a text to Dad"

There is a way to push siri to pronounce your name right but you will have to misspell your name to make it happen, play with the sounds combine vowels in different spots until you get it yo sound the right way, but the down side will be that your name will appear wrong on your text message but Siri will read it right. You can't get both now while siri is on beta. you decide.

There is a way to push siri to pronounce your name right but you will have to misspell your name to make it happen, play with the sounds combine vowels in different spots until you get it yo sound the right way, but the down side will be that your name will appear wrong on your text message but Siri will read it right. You can't get both now while siri is on beta. you decide.

No you shouldn't have to do this. There is a separate field in contacts to allow you to spell names phonetically So that Siri can pronounce them properlly. While I've made this work for other contacts it doesn't seem to work or my name. Siri will only pronounce my name the same incorrect way no matter how I spell it. :/

If you make your nickname Spy Dell, she gets it right -- just tried it.

Hmm that is weird. She says my name properly when I spell it phonetically as my nickname but not when I spell it phonetically in the phonetical last name field. :/

If you make your nickname Spy Dell, she gets it right -- just tried it.

Perhaps Apple needs to rethink this field array in the Address Book moving forward. I expect "Nickname" to contain "Randy" when the Name is "Randall" or maybe "Liz" or "Betty" when the Name is "Elizabeth." And I wouldn't expect my surname to be my nickname, although there may be unusual cases wherein others do that. Regardless, pronunciation is closer to the current phonetic fields' mission than "nickname" is, IMHO.
(workaround rant) I suggest this issue may be solved, if Siri isn't "human" enough, by having a field set that she recognizes, and a field set that I recognize. So we'll have "Siri Phonetic First Name" "Siri Phonetic Last Name" "Phonetic First Name" "Phonetic Last Name" Four fields--clear as mud what each is for, and Siri can use the ones that are hers.(/workaround rant)

I hope the developers of the iOS 5 and handles the updates for the iPhone 4s. If you incorporate a voice training feature like dragon dictation the performance would be perfect. Or an even simpler solution to add a text input box for voice recognition which matches you voice to the proper word and stores it on apple servers which is basically already being done.

Hi,

A new joiner here and having problems using the phonetical name fields of contacts. I'm Irish so my first name is not pronounced as it's spelt. I've added the phonetical spelling to the phonetical first name field of my personal details and Siri now pronounces it correctly when, for example, I ask "her" who I am. However when I dictate a text and add my name to the end "she" spells it as it's written in the phonetical first name field!!?? Also if I ask "her" to send a text to me she doesn't pronounce it properly when saying "I can send a text to....." Strange!!?

Also, I've added phonetical first names for two of my friends but "she" just doesn't want to recognize either and pronounces both "her" way!

I heard that rebooting the phone or syncing it after making the changes to the contacts can correct the problem but have tried both and still have the same issue.

Any ideas or updates?

Help!!!!

Clone100 said:
Hi,

A new joiner here and having problems using the phonetical name fields of contacts. I'm Irish so my first name is not pronounced as it's spelt. I've added the phonetical spelling to the phonetical first name field of my personal details and Siri now pronounces it correctly when, for example, I ask "her" who I am. However when I dictate a text and add my name to the end "she" spells it as it's written in the phonetical first name field!!?? Also if I ask "her" to send a text to me she doesn't pronounce it properly when saying "I can send a text to....." Strange!!?

Also, I've added phonetical first names for two of my friends but "she" just doesn't want to recognize either and pronounces both "her" way!

I heard that rebooting the phone or syncing it after making the changes to the contacts can correct the problem but have tried both and still have the same issue.

Any ideas or updates?

Help!!!!

We are irish man Siri will never understand us ☺:) :)

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net