What's new

Control lock screen with mapping apps

DocPit45

Reaction score
This problem has been discussed a number of times online: I'm using Google Maps on an iPhone 12 Pro Max in my vehicle, and the lock screen blanks out the app. Apparently, the only fix is to go into Settings and set Auto-Lock to "Never" before launching the app. I was hoping I could create a shortcut that would do that automatically for the Google Maps app, but, apparently, a shortcut can't govern the lock screen. Just wondering if anyone has found a more convenient way to turn the lock screen off during the time that the Google Maps app is active.

Thank you for your reply. From looking at online tutorials, my impression is that CarPlay requires that the vehicle has a touchscreen. Is that correct? My car does not have a touchscreen. I'm viewing the iPhone not a touchscreen.

Unless your car has an infotainment system that incorporates Apple Carplay then you will be restricted to using Google Maps directly on the phone.

Unfortunately Google Maps doesn’t have a setting to disable screen lock, however the sister app, Waze (owned now by Google) does have such a setting (Settings, General, Disable Auto Lock).

Waze is actually a pretty good navigation app, so give it a try.

Last edited: