What's new

Control center problems (IOS 7) using Otterbox Defender

Cwoodkiter

Reaction score
When I updated to IOS 7 I discovered that it's very difficult to swipe up to access the control center (swipe down works great) because I have the Otterbox Defender on the phone. Anyone else with this problem, and does anyone have a solution?

The fastest solution is to take the phone out of the case. The best solution is to wait for the cases to be redesigned to allow for extra room at the top and bottom of the screen to allow for a proper swiping motion.

Apple should've made the interaction zone for Control Center slightly above the bottom of the screen for this very purpose. Considering Otterbox and Lifeproof are one of the most common cases being used (aside from bumpers), I would say it wouldn't be too farfetched to ask for a settings.app addition or a slight tweak to allow for CC to be easier to activate, much like NC in iOS 5 IIRC.

Scifan57,
That's good advice thank you except taking my phone out of the Otterbox defeats the purpose of the case and this will be the last case this phone will get because when my contract expires next year I'll be upgrading to either the 5s or the 6. I kind of hope that I'm not the only one and that maybe Apple will make an IOS 7 update to move the control center swipe point up by 1/16".

same problem here ,i got a otterbox clone from 5 below store.

I guess other people have had this very same problem because with the 7.0.3 update my CC problems have been solved...yay!!

i have not noticed anything new about the control center tab in 7.0.3

They raised the gesture activation of CC
really? i dont see anything like that listed here

This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
  • Adds iCloud Keychain to keep track of your account names, passwords, and credit card numbers across all your approved devices
  • Adds Password Generator so Safari can suggest unique, hard-to-guess passwords for your online accounts
  • Updates lock screen to delay display of "slide to unlock" when Touch ID is in use
  • Adds back the ability to search the web and Wikipedia from Spotlight search
  • Fixes an issue where iMessage failed to send for some users
  • Fixes a bug that could prevent iMessage from activating
  • Improves system stability when using iWork apps
  • Fixes an accelerometer calibration issue
  • Addresses an issue that could cause Siri and VoiceOver to use a lower quality voice
  • Fixes a bug that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode
  • Enhances the Reduce Motion setting to minimize both motion and animation
  • Fixes an issue that could cause VoiceOver input to be too sensitive
  • Updates the Bold Text setting to also change dial pad text
Fixes an issue that could cause supervised devices to become un-supervised when updating software

Gesture tweakings usually don't show up on update notes, much like the Notification Center gesture tweaking back in iOS 5

Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk

well the real issue is the placement .it just cant be reached once the phone is in a protective case .nothing in the update has helped mine .